Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 8124 times)

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
I have found mammograms to be a positive experience so far.  I have had a nurse express some surprise at the size of my breasts and tell me that normally she would do scans for men from the side only but in my case I needed a full scan from the top as well, but apart from that, just friendly professionalism.
The waiting room usually has more than a sprinkling of men, many I suspect are accompanying their wives for emotional support.
I have also had ultrasound and biopsies done where I am surrounded by attending nurses who on one occasion got into a discussion with me on how to care for my breasts by examination and she said "You might find a well fitting bra would make you much more comfortable." I told her that sometimes I do wear one.  At no time have I been made to feel embarrassed.

You mentioned that the staff commented on the size of your breasts, how large are they?

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
I had a mammogram and a follow up breast MRI at a radiology center.  They offered everything from a standard x-ray to MRI's therefore I didn't attract any attention in the waiting room.  The staff were very professional and pleasant.  Something I did notice was that they never used the term "breasts" but rather "your breast tissue". 

Offline jdb

• Posting Member
I have found mammograms to be a positive experience so far.  I have had a nurse express some surprise at the size of my breasts and tell me that normally she would do scans for men from the side only but in my case I needed a full scan from the top as well, but apart from that, just friendly professionalism.
The waiting room usually has more than a sprinkling of men, many I suspect are accompanying their wives for emotional support.
I have also had ultrasound and biopsies done where I am surrounded by attending nurses who on one occasion got into a discussion with me on how to care for my breasts by examination and she said "You might find a well fitting bra would make you much more comfortable." I told her that sometimes I do wear one.  At no time have I been made to feel embarrassed.

You mentioned that the staff commented on the size of your breasts, how large are they?

See my picture on https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31004.0

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
Thanks for sharing your photo.  

Offline mgr

• Bronze Member
I have had two mammograms in the last 18 months and am supposed to have another in six months.  My dr. And the radiologist think yearly is a good idea given the breast cancer history in my family (Sister and maternal grandmother). Each were pretty a pretty easy experience.  The first was the best and most comfortable. The radiologistics actually came into the x-ray room and walked me back to her office to show me the scans.  Very lovely lady.  The second time was fine, but it was obvious the older radiologist was not as comfortable. She asked many questions on how and why I have breasts.  I answered her questions, but she still seemed a bit off.  Hopefully, I will not have her again, but if I do, it is not the end since I can say...."I'm back".

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning in a different facility - I hope they're better than the place my GP normally sends his patients.  We shall see.

Offline walt

• Gold Member

Hi guys I am due this year for my mamo, last time was fine and not nerve wracking, went in a T shirt and a bra as well. The Tech was very kind . I also work in the same Hospital and know the Tech who did my  mamo. Best Luck

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
The first mammogram I got a few years ago was thoroughly humiliating, which was why I was nervous about the one today.
What a difference! The staff were wonderful and understanding, and curious about if I new the cause, what changes I'd seen, and so on. I was comfortable enough to joke a little bit - one staff asked me why I was so casual about gynecomastia because most men are very nervous and embarrassed.  Had a mammogram, and the tech apologized, and was surprised when I told her I'd had one and understood why women complain about mammograms, and that probably wasnt going to change, no matter how nice she was. She laughed, which set a nice mood. She noted that most men with boobs were smaller than me, and saggier, so I asked if she would call them 'perky'. Giggle from her. I asked if she saw many men who were 'perky'.  Another laugh.  It was a thoroughly pleasant experience.
I have a minor cyst, which concerned the ultrasound tech until she'd reviewed the mammogram results with the radiologist.  The worst part, honestly, was having to hold my left arm up to be clear of the ultrasound - that's the arm I had a rotator cuff repaired several weeks ago, so it hurt quite a bit.
I noted my ongoing discomfort, and one of the techs noted that with my size, some support would be helpful, so we talked a little about bras. She hadn't encountered many men who were open-minded about support garments. She recommended a place for a bra fitting, too.
The doc seconded the opinion about support after I told her what my measurements were - and what the on-line and herroom.com had recommended as my bra size. I have a little more musculature than an average woman with DDs, but they're still a strain.  So tonight will be a discussion with my wife about what the doc said, then I'll contact the lingerie store the tech recommended.  It's downtown Houston, but I have to make the trip to replace a car that was flooded by Harvey.  So I can take daughter to school, visit dealership, get a bra fitting, hit another dealership, and be back around lunchtime (unless I'm slowed by paperwork for the car).
I will go back to that facility the next time I get a mammogram. It was a pleasant experience.

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
While I have not had a mammogram done yet(doc said a couple years ago it is coming), I have had several EKG's done over past few years, and have gone in wearing my typical bra.  This last time, just over a year ago, the tech complemented me on having the courage to wear something to support my breast tissue, as she mentioned that there is certainly enough there to take care of.
The point here is that the medical people see enough of us guys with breast development these days that it isn't a surprise to many any more I believe.  When we have to have a medical procedure done requiring removal of our shirts, exposing a bra supporting breast tissue is the least concerning issue of the day for a medical professional!

Offline Jin

• Posting Member
My first was last year. The only issue was the tech apologizing for only having pink gowns! When she saw my lacy pink bra she said "Oh, I guess you are OK with pink,"

Maxx

Had my 8th mammogram today. It was somewhat entertaining.

The tech was kind of acting like it was strange that I would get them every year. She seemed to think male breast tissue is not the same, doesnt require routine imaging. Well, she soon found out that my breast tissue is more dense than the average female, and the Radiologist needed more photos to evaluate something she saw on one of the initial pictures.

It all turned out to be fine, but when your report says 50-75% dense glandular breast tissue, it is gonna get some pings on the image. At least I didnt need another ultrasound, or worse.
Report always says "even though patient is male, recommend annual mammograms"

It is a bit of a scam, because I cant get them classified as Routine, because they never consider cases of gynecomastia to be "routine".  It always  get coded as "diagnostic"...meaning I have to pay for them as my insurance doesn't cover it as preventative.

I wonder how they treat Transgender MTF's who have had reassignment surgery?

Offline walt

• Gold Member
Hello boys, as I said above just had one a while ago both top and side  also got the mamo`s on disc so I could look at them myself. my Dr said my breasts are mostly fat with some retroareola tissue, boobs are fatty tissue for a good part anyway and the lumps I felt were nothing to be concerned about so I will be getting another mamo in 5 years .That's all my insurance will cover from what I was told.Anyhow good luck to anyone who will need a mamo nothing to be ashamed about.

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
I had my first one a month or so ago and it was less than fun.  First after they called me back, all was fine then when I took of my bra the first thing the nurse said was that I did not need one and got angry when I did need one for support.  Then she did a full mammogram top and side and then told me to get dressed.  When she came back she said I did not have cancer (wasn't there for that) but I di have gyno and simple gave me a page and a half about it and walked out. When I showed the wife the handout on gynecomastia even she said that if was a lot of nothing   When can we find out something real?
If you got them flaunt them.  We all wear bras so wear what you like and to hell with the rest.

Offline Busty

That nurse was unprofessional and contradictory.  She said you did not need to wear a bra like a woman, but said you had gynecomastia, which means you have breasts like a woman.  She might have had a clearer mind if she had an open mind

aboywithgirls

I agree. I've had nurses and techs ask me about my bra. They are usually just curious. They want to know how long I've worn one. They are usually supportive and tell me that more men could benefit from wearing a bra. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024