Author Topic: Should I get Surgery? (w/ photos)  (Read 1164 times)

throwaway311

I need your help to decide if I should get surgery or not. I've been weighing this decision privately for months and am having a difficult time deciding what to do.

Here's my story:

I've had what I consider puffy nipples or man boobs since I was a teen. Last year I finally talked to my family doc (who seemed very competent, teaches medicine at large respected university hospital) about it after decades of being too embarrassed to bring it up. He did some blood tests (I did some independent research and am happy with what he ordered) and after reviewing the results he recommended surgery.

I then spoke with two local board certified plastic surgeons at respected plastic surgery centers at two different local hospitals (I'm in the US, one was university hospital and the other is a respected private hospital). Both surgeons recommended surgery and did not think any other tests are needed.

I am pretty close to going the surgery route, but would really like to get your opinions on whether this is a mistake or not. I would like a flat chest, doesn't need to be perfect but just not man-booby. But, I am terrified of less-than-ideal results that I will regret (mostly just from reading Reddit posts).

I'm 6'1" and about 185 pounds right now (been as low as 176 and nipples seemed to be even more noticeable then). My body fat now is around 16 now according to my digital scale.

Thanks for your feedback. This is a big decision for me.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You have now received recommendations for surgery by several physicians -- and they are correct.  You have significant puffy nipples on a slender torso.  There is no other treatment available other than surgery.  The puffiness is due to breast tissue which is pushing the areolas outward.  Appropriate surgery will remove just enough of the tissue so that it lies fat and flush with the surrounding chest skin all the time.

This is tricky surgery.  Remove too much and you have a crater.  Not enough removed and you still have puffy nipples.  Best recommendation is to seek a surgeon with sufficient interest and expertise in this type of surgery.  Ask to see before and after photos of his puffy nipple surgery results.  

Good luck.

Dr Jacobs

PS, if you go to my website captioned below, you can view B/A photos of puffy nipples in the photo gallery.
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024