Author Topic: To bra, or not to bra  (Read 9031 times)

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
I just had a quick look.  According to the online chart of a South African clothing store, I should be a small 36B (79/94cm).  I didn't take the other measurements.  Of course I also don't know just how tight "tight" means.  Currently 69kg (I was suprised, considering Monday the scale showed 71).

Offline Johndoe1

Tight has always meant to me to mean no matter what direction I move or position my arms are in the band doesn't move. It's just short of starting to hurt. You are aware of its presence with a pressure around your ribcage but it shouldn't hurt or undue cut into the skin. It will leave a mark on your skin but shouldn't be angry in appearance and fade within an hour or so. Remember, the band takes 80 to 90 percent of the support so it has to anchor on the ribcage  and stay there. You need to be able to drop the straps and still feel the support on your breasts. If not, the band probably isn't tight enough. You do get used to the pressure and you soon you forget it is even there. 
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

aboywithgirls

I agree with John. That's why I will fluctuate between a 36 and 38 band depending on the material. You also have to consider sister sizing when you change band sizes. A 38G has the same cup volume as a 36H in the same.bra. 

The bra straps are basically there to keep the cup in position. I have a couple of strapless bras that stay in place just fine.

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
Definitely not 38 then.  I could tighten to 78cm (barely 36), but I figured that's probably too tight.  79 was still what I'd consider tight.

As for whether or not to start wearing, I suppose I'll see once I'm at my target weight (unless I re-evaulate and stop early of course).  But going by recent experience (went down to 66kg), I'll drop to a 34 band.  I don't think I'll drop to under 73cm.

And in case somebody wonders about my already seemingly low weight, I naturally have very little muscle mass.  Lean for me is borderline underweight considering my height.

aboywithgirls

At a 34 band, you'll be in Victoria secret size range. While they have some good bras. Be careful shopping there. While they welcome male customers,  they have a reputation for getting you in as many bras as possible, whether they fit properly or not..

You may want to look into shopping at a locally owned boutique that specializes in bra fitting.. 

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
I've never seen one of those shops here.  So I don't think they have a presence here in ZA anyway.

I do know of a small by-appointment place, but I don't know their policy about men (or rather fitting men, they do welcome men buying for their partners), and I don't really know what they sell (apart from the kind of stuff I'm not looking for).  They do advertise about having something for every size/shape, but it won't help if they only sell bedroom-oriented items.  Apart from that, it's basically a matter of going to a mall and visiting some large places.

aboywithgirls

Torrid and Lane Bryant are more than happy to help us get support that we need as well.

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
I've never even heard of them before starting to read posts here.

By the way.  I assume (this is all of course assuming that I do end up wearing a bra) that when cycling I'll just have to go braless?  Considering how tight cycling clothes are.

aboywithgirls

I'm not huge into cycling but, I  would also assume that women support their breasts when cycling. 

I do a lot of swimming and I wear a womans tankini.  To me, its only clothing. Male, female, it doesn't matter to me. I just want something that fits and works with my curves. 

aboywithgirls

Large breasted women and some men including myself wear women's Tunics.  They accommodate and down play the girls. They also down play my hips and butt. They are light and flowy and very comfortable. There are several different styles  from long sleeves and short sleeved and 3/4 sleeved, 

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
Well, at least I don't see much of a problem with cycling clothes, except of course how it will show what I have.  And of course I'm a bit smaller than you in the breast department, so it's easier to get away without a bra.  As I said, the main issue is discomfort caused by my shirts, followed by long term consideration (future sagging, although it's less of a problem with small-ish breasts).

Regarding bra styles, I assume strapless will be better out of a hiding standpoint?

aboywithgirls

You will want to stay away from a strapless bra unless you're wearing a top or.a dress that requires you to wear one (anything that is "off the shoulders "). You will end up having to adjust it several times a day depending on how much you move.

If you're looking for a stealthy bra, I would suggest a racer back, front close, underwire. The underwire will be able to do more work with less material. The racerback design will give you the smoothest appearance with no hardware across your back. Generally speaking,  you should be fine wearing  it with just a tshirt. I would suggest that you start with both a black and skin tone bra. 

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
Makes sense, thanks.

Why do you suggest black?  As I understand it has a tendency to show?

aboywithgirls

You'll want a black bra for any black or dark color top. White bras are very easy to detect but are still your best option with a with blouse.  A layering camo is also a good idea to wear over your bra in most cases. 

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
How important will it be with men's shirts?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024