Author Topic: Idiopathic  (Read 1232 times)

Dudewithboobs

I recently had my bi-annual physical with my dr to which upon coming in asked how everything is going and did the usual routine of what brings you in and so forth. I mentioned just doing the bi-annual physical and I noted the gynecomastia that's been noted in the previous year has seemed to increase quite a bit in recent months and I was a bit concerned. Did the physical, did a feel around breast exam and noted there is quite a bit of fullness and dense tissue growth. Had me do some tests at the lab in the city next door to which results came back fairly normal. Before my E2 was a bit elevated but it seems it's come down a little. With no medication, no supplements, and a diet that is pretty dang good of plenty of protein fruits veggies and daily exercise...he said the cause is unfortunately not known. 

I know there are medical things, that just cannot be determined and is just a "is what it is" situation. But I'm curious, as I'm fine with my breasts, I've come to be okay with them, but I'm also not a D cup or anything near it, and in recent months, the growth experienced has me a bit nervous that by summer time 2021 at this rate I'm gonna be unable to disguise what's going on. I've done my fair share of reading and searching when initially developing and to my understanding the body needs quite a few factors going on for quite awhile to grow breasts, especially in the male body, especially when developing a bit (currently a full b cup). My question, is, has anyone else been told their adult onset is idiopathic? I'm 34 and began growing at 32 and with things jiggling now, I'm a bit mind blown that a dr cannot pin point wtf is causing it. You would think boobs growing on a guy would be somewhat easy to find out why.

I'm not concerned myself, but with wife and kid i'm curious how things are going to be if they grow more, and how to explain whats going on. I cannot imagine telling a wife, who eventually notices her husband has actual noticeable breasts, that "I don't know how they got there" or "Doctor says they don't know why they are" is an acceptable answer. Idk...not to ramble, I've found comfort in the acceptance side of the forum, but a lot of frustration with the dr side of life. I just want to know why they are growing when everything else points to healthy and normal range for myself and explanation to others. Anyone else dealing with unknown causes to what should be a known cause? Or what to ask dr to look for?

gmast

I'm a little more than 34, but I got the same answer.  But if you look at the statistics, its not really all that abnormal to get gynecomastia.  If one lives long enough, it is more 'normal' to get it than not.  It happens to different guys at different times, to different degrees.  It is also not that unusual to have significant medical issue go undiagnosed.  I had bad heartburn for a couple of days during a trip.  antacids helped, but I still felt like bad.  When I got back I went to the local medical professionals, and gave them my symptoms.  They took me to a room, took off my shirt and a shoe, gave me an EKG, and through me on an ambulance that took me directly to a cath lab, bypassing the emergency room.  After a couple of hours on the table, they found nothing wrong.  Subsequent tests showed nothing wrong.  The cardiologist gave a diagnosis, but admitted that the diagnosis did not fit how the symptoms were presented.  He also said that 50% of the chest pain cases are ideopathic.  It is amazing what the medical profession knows about some unusual and complicated things, but also doesn't know a lot about many common things.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Doctors are guys like you -- they don't know everything.  And it takes a smart doctor to be able to admit that he can't pinpoint the cause of your problem, your pain, etc.  I think that is more honest than having him/her give you a BS answer, prescribe some medication which may or may not help, and then disappoint you.

As for your situation, understand that oftentimes gyne appears with age. You also have to go down a list of everything in your life over the past several years.  That means, review any and all medications, OTC meds, supplements, foods, etc.  Go for a physical exam and then a visit to an endocrinologist for a thorough look at your hormones.  And sometimes everything draws a blank and we docs have to admit that we simply cannot determine the cause.  That is honest.

And then you have to decide whether the gyne is something you can live with or must get removed.  If the latter, then do your homework -- no rush -- and find a gyne expert near  you or consider traveling for such expertise.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

boobs are normal

It all boils down to the fact that all breast sizes are found are found in both sexes and when no underlying pathology is found it is NORMAL (for you) - you have just got a social difficult situation  in the eyes of others and unfortunately often, in the the case of us men, between our own two ears.

My simple  message is "Rejoice!" - Idiopathic is far more preferable than a pathological diagnosis.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:29:19 PM by boobs are normal »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
I’m still waiting on my results from my second hormone test. First one showed very high testosterone and estrogen levels though both were still in the “normal” range. Sure it takes time, but I wish things were more like those tv shows where they get results almost right away.

boobs are normal

Bobbie you seem amazingly well adjusted all things considered.
In UK Occasionally I am aware of being noticed, nothing more - even when wearing a skirt (in place of shorts in hot weather).
Hairy arms, legs, removal all doubt about sexuality. Being 6ft 2" probably helps as well.
I do empathise though tests that I have done show ne to have views and feelings very skewed towards the feminine! Iwish you well

boobs are normal

Feelings are extremely powerful and real.
They are also often totally illogical and can drive us to illogical actions.
I can't help feeling you need a non judgemental friend who you can trust absolutely with your feelings (professional or preferably informal).

All I can say from distance is that I will remember you in my personal prayers.
May you find peace

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024