Author Topic: Holding on and letting go  (Read 1425 times)

Orb

This week I pulled out and wore my favorite underwire T shirt bra.  In the course of the day I could feel it just wasn't right.  One of the wires wore through the center gore and was riding two inches up my chest.  It took some time before I could make some adjustments.  Today I put on an identical one, brand new, and was so happy I did.  I haven't felt this good in a long time.  As the old stand by was ageing what I thought was comfort was actually a very loose and sloppy fit.  I sure feel the benefits of a new snug band and cups that fit.

I guess one should take time to inspect, check for signs of wear and then replace.  Don't try and hold on so long.  Learning when to let go and spend the time and money to replace is a lesson learned.

Online Johndoe1

My bra fitter has told me of the 100 Rule. A good quality bra, taken care of and properly rotated should last 100 wears. If you have a rotation set up of one wear a week and wash every fourth wear, that's 100 weeks or two years. I  have tried to adhere to that rule and so far that has been what life expectancy of my bras work out to, plus or miss some. Of course, if  a wire breaks through, and I have had that happen, then the bra is toast and it's time to get rid of it no matter how old it is.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Orb

I have not heard of that.  It does sound logical.  Thinking back that would be about right.  I have started to hand wash rather than put in a garment bag, toss in the machine, then hang dry.  

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
My bra fitter has told me of the 100 Rule. A good quality bra, taken care of and properly rotated should last 100 wears. If you have a rotation set up of one wear a week and wash every fourth wear, that's 100 weeks or two years. I  have tried to adhere to that rule and so far that has been what life expectancy of my bras work out to, plus or miss some. Of course, if  a wire breaks through, and I have had that happen, then the bra is toast and it's time to get rid of it no matter how old it is.
to me thats a little long to wear a bra before washing. in the south where its hot they get too sweaty, maybe 2 days

Offline blad

I rotate through my daily wear bras.

I wear them until there is visible deterioration beyond a reasonable degree or outright failure. Of course this includes failure of the band to be snug enough. Its all a relative decision the same as most items of clothing. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

aboywithgirls

All it takes is one significant bra failure. Whether it's an underwire poking you, a broken underwire or broke hook or loop to learn how important a reliable bra is. Women understand this. Guys who don't wear a bra or depend on it for support, comfort and shape will never understand why we spend $70- 100 for a single bra (at least I do). A good , reliable bra is essential for me to get through my day.

Online Johndoe1

I get it that those who do not have large breasts that this kind of bra talk may sound a little weird. But for those of use who have been blessed to be well endowed with mass and/or density of breast tissue, bras and bra types and styles become important, as it is for many women and for the same reasons. Our breast tissue is not that dissimilar to theirs. Not all of us may be able to express, but for many, the plumbing is the same whether we can or not and many of the issues are the same with the same solutions.

For me, being a DD(E)/DDD(F) cup in a 38 band, I can't hide my chest anymore and binding stopped being an option many, many years ago. I can downplay it with the type and style of bra, but in the end, I have two little mountains on my chest that have a mind of their own if I don't do something to corral them. And like many women, a bra has become a part of my daily wardrobe for that reason. My fear of being uncomfortable is far greater than the fear of being detected. Discomfort is a powerful motivator.

So I wear a bra and deal with all the things that wearing a bra brings from price, to style, support, lift, shape, containment, care, comfort, appearance, judgement. Same as women. It's what you do if you have breasts and wear a bra for them in our society. It's the language of the subject.

Orb

That's right.  No matter what, comfort is key.  A wardrobe malfunction isn't pleasant.  When thing break and fall apart mid flight its a problem.  Quality bras with regular maintenance checks is something that I'll do regularly. I have replaced a few in the last couple weeks.  

Offline blad

Quality bras with regular maintenance checks is something that I'll do regularly. 
Band clasp on...check

Swoop and scoop...check

Side boob engaged...check

strap adjusters position...check

underwire positioned...check

no nipping confirmation...check

test bounce...check

All confirmed and ready for the day.

aboywithgirls

Quality bras with regular maintenance checks is something that I'll do regularly.
Band clasp on...check

Swoop and scoop...check

Side boob engaged...check

strap adjusters position...check

underwire positioned...check

no nipping confirmation...check

test bounce...check

All confirmed and ready for the day.
Every day, every time I put on my bra!

Orb

Blad I love it.  Preflight checklist.  Houston we're set for launch. 
Like the check list before taking your daily constitution.  Spectacles, Testiculs, Watch....then head out the door.

aboywithgirls

I will say this about that. I've been putting on a bra everyday for over 30 years. I have had a few issues over the years that were the result of complacency.

Just a couple months ago. I grabbed my black Elomi Matilda out of my top drawer. I was going to wear my black button down top so that bra was the obvious choice. I knew when I put it on, the back hooks were pulled a bit from the band but, I had been wearing it without any issue. I finished getting dressed. Later that morning, I reached to pick up a paper on the floor and both hooks let go and the girls went into free fall! 

Thank goodness that one of my close friends was standing there when it happened. She saw my face and asked me what was wrong. I told her. She had a couple of safety pins in her desk and we proceeded to my boss' private bathroom and put me back together.

That afternoon, I stopped by Zoe and Company Bra Fitters and replaced that bra.

So, the pre flight, pre trip check list is something that should be done and not ignored.

Offline SideSet

I think we know more about bras than many women do

aboywithgirls

I think we know more about bras than many women do
Oh, absolutely! I feel that many women see as bra as something that they HAVE to wear. They feel like "ok, I'll wear a bra but, they don't take a lot of interest in it because it's something that is forced on them. We on the other hand, see a bra as a necessity. We have breasts and are uncomfortable having our breasts unsupported, with uncontrolled movement with no define shape.

Therefore, we do our research. We ask questions and get answers. Many of us have gone and gotten professionally fitted by bra experts who help us find the perfect bra that fits perfectly.

Orb

I will say this about that. I've been putting on a bra everyday for over 30 years. I have had a few issues over the years that were the result of complacency.

Just a couple months ago. I grabbed my black Elomi Matilda out of my top drawer. I was going to wear my black button down top so that bra was the obvious choice. I knew when I put it on, the back hooks were pulled a bit from the band but, I had been wearing it without any issue. I finished getting dressed. Later that morning, I reached to pick up a paper on the floor and both hooks let go and the girls went into free fall!

Thank goodness that one of my close friends was standing there when it happened. She saw my face and asked me what was wrong. I told her. She had a couple of safety pins in her desk and we proceeded to my boss' private bathroom and put me back together.

That afternoon, I stopped by Zoe and Company Bra Fitters and replaced that bra.

So, the pre flight, pre trip check list is something that should be done and not ignored.
I have to say the incident, although frightening at the time, is rather funny looking in the mirror.  Sorry it happened to you but again you dealt with it and moved on.  Glad you had a friend there to help.  
  It is funny we have had to learn to deal with these issues.  
New parameters to the checklist.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024