Author Topic: I saw a guy with gyne...  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

That's so right.  It's like when I was at the beach hanging out with the family and I was already self-conscious just being there without a shirt.  I felt like everybody was looking out of the corners of their eyes and laughing.  About the time I would convince myself that it was all in my head, some itch-bay would be smiling and looking my way.  She actually started pointing me out to her boyfriend so he could look and enjoy the hilarious spectacle of my gyne as well.  That kind of thing happened all the time to me.  No wonder we're so self-conscious.

I know your pain bratha...  :'(   Bin-Der-Dun-Dat   dude....    

In my mid 20's I went to the beach with my GF (at the time). She was insistant that I take my shirt off. I thougth WTF, let's do'er. As I walked shirtless, one guy said "Look at the muscles on that guy" and laughed with all the people he was with. I just wanted to crawl under a rock and die....   :'(

John.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:49:25 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Spleen

Guys, if it was me I'd leave it alone.  Would you go up to a stranger to talk to them about their crooked teeth, flat feet or obesity?  I know the intent is to be helpful but in practice I think it would be rude and presumtuous.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Guys, if it was me I'd leave it alone.  Would you go up to a stranger to talk to them about their crooked teeth, flat feet or obesity?  I know the intent is to be helpful but in practice I think it would be rude and presumtuous.

Spleen...

This is why Gynecomastia is not talked about much (generally). We don't want to 'offend' the other guy. However, fixing crooked teeth, flat feet or getting to a propper body weight is common knowledge.

Some guys with Gyne may not know (I didn't, until finding this Site) that there is a surgical proceedure to correct the condition. I'm sure that with the Internet being Mainstream now, most Gyne sufferers will be able to find information that will direct them on a course of action that is most approprite for them.

John.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think that it is sad to think that  in this time, when when so much information is so easily available, Gynecomastia is still a deep secret to so many people.

Spleen has the right approach, I think.

If someone made a point of pointing out my gynecomastia, I'd find their ignorance offensive. Moreso even than my Gynecomastia.

There are a lot of men who simply live with the condition and refuse to become victims. At this  point in my life, I am among that group. When I was much younger, I too suffered.

If you should know of someone who is suffering, and the issue can be handled discretely, by all means let them know that there is this site and that surgery is available. Conversely, if you see someone who is coping well, you might ask how they manage to deal with it as though you need help.

Sometimes it is better to maintain silence and allow people to think you are ignorant than to speak out and remove all doubt.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:13:09 AM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline Spleen

Some guys with Gyne may not know (I didn't, until finding this Site) that there is a surgical proceedure to correct the condition.

At the same time they might not even know they have gyne, but now they've been given a reason to be embarrassed.  Or, they may know it & want to do something about it, and now they have perfect strangers pressing the issue.  I know the intent is altruistic, but not everyone wants or needs unsolicited advice.  If you have no way of knowing if your comments will help, alarm or offend the recipient, why insert yourself in to the matter unless you *know* the person is seeking advice or help?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless

spleen, i would have paid through the nose just to have known what this was a quarter century ago.  no embarrassment necessary, all i would have asked is what merle mentioned, somebody handing me a small business card-sized piece of paper with gynecomastia.org written on it.  

okay, so you'd have had to drop the .org since the modern internet didn't exist, but you get the idea  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 07:37:43 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Sorry Head,

You have made some important points, but I would still think spleen has the right idea in this case.

If a person was coping well and had no problem to start with; After a confrontation they do have a problem and it was created by someone who had only the most noble of intentions.

"The pathway to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
If a person was coping well and had no problem to start with; After a confrontation they do have a problem and it was created by someone who had only the most noble of intentions.

take my case for illustration.  it would be crazy to say that my ignorance was "no problem", it WAS the problem.  informing me would not have been confrontation, it would have been enlightenment and doing me a huge favor.   handing me a card with a website or word on it would not be creating anything, it would be lifting the veil on it, which would allow it to be fixed.  i speak from my own experience that  ignorance is anything but bliss.  look at how people react with d**n near tears in their eyes sometimes to find this site.  

i never argued for "confronting" but informing.  remember turbo6's vacation gyne story.  you could perform the miracle of opening the guy's eyes, or you could leave him the rest of his life in the cave of misery he was trapped in.  so if he'd chosen to stay there, fine.  but you see how definitely, like most any normal guy, he did not.  coping my butt.  god what i would have given to have been him 26 years ago instead of stuck on the reef where you with your "good intentions", don't take it personally, would have left me.  so you'll probably do your thing and judging each situation case by case, i'll probably imitate merle's cards sometime and do mine.  they won't even have to know what it means till they look it up.  talk about the difference between the road to hell versus heaven  :o

"The pathway to Hell is paved with good intentions."

and the road to heaven then is logically paved with bad ones  ;)  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 09:26:38 PM by headheldhigh01 »

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
To a guy with gyne, it's the norm for people to notice.  One more person noticing is like a drop in the proverbial bucket.  It would be forgotten by the next day or the next time somebody else looked and pointed.

What isn't the norm is for someone to notice and provide him with a resource chock full of solutions and support.  

Back in the college dorm when they were calling me "Big Nip" if something like this web site had been there I would have felt endebted to the person who shared it with me.  

MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline littes

• Posting Member
Once, it was summer and I was wearing a t-shirt, a man (with gynecomastia) said: "We're in the same club", touching his boobs...

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Once, it was summer and I was wearing a t-shirt, a man (with gynecomastia) said: "We're in the same club", touching his boobs...

Let that be a lesson on how NOT to do it.  Sheesh.  :o

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024