Author Topic: Will my GP have to be informed of the operation?  (Read 2603 times)

bodyshame

Is there some sort of legal requirement that says a plastic surgeon has to tell your GP that you have had this procedure? I am just thinking of job applications that require a medical history check; i wouldn't really want prospective employers to view that information. I suppose it is also to do with my pathological urge to erase the whole ugly episode from existence once it's done, if you know what i mean!! i would like to think i would be able to keep this between me and the fella making the cuts is all.

Does anyone know about this?

Offline tazz

• Posting Member
im due to have surgery with Dr. Karidis and i was asked if i would like my gp to be informed or not.
i said it wasnt a problem.

good luck.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Whenever I have seen a Plastic Surgeon, an Endocrinologist or an Andrologist privately, I have also been asked if I would like my GP to be informed.  I have been happy to have my GP kept up to date, but I assume that if I had said NO, then my wishes would have been respected as I am paying the bill.

If you are unsure I would suggest you ask the surgeons secretary when you make the initial appointment.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Done_n_dusted

• Posting Member
No, there is no legal requirement. They have to have your consent to submit the information to your GP. I specifically told them not to because I see my GP socially and didn't want him to know.
Levick'd and Happy Nov 2006

Offline zaphodb

• Posting Member
When I was discharged from hospital I was asked by one of the nurses if I was private or not: private procedures didn't get a GP letter whilst NHS ones did.

She actually handed it to me, for me to hand in to my GP, I suppose it could have gotten 'lost'!  ;D

It didn't though, I didn't mind as they knew I was doing this and it was them who referred me.

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)

Offline Done_n_dusted

• Posting Member
@zaphodb

But if you're in the nhs your GP already has to know so it's academic whether you give them the letter. Last time I checked (and my other half is a doctor) you couldn't get into the nhs system without first going through a GP since you need a referral etc.

Cheers.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024