Author Topic: How old is too old?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline gt99

Hi all,

I have a few questions, please forgive my lack of knowledge of gynecomastia, I only discovered this forum today and have had large 'puffy nipples' for 9 years now.

Firstly, how old is too old to be having 'puffy nipples'? Let me give you some background - Whenever I have asked my GP about my puffy nipples I have been told "Just wait it out, they'll dissapear eventually", but she told me that when I was 13, and says the same thing now I am 22. Now I have well and truly passed puberty, have I developed an irreversable case of gynecomastia?

Secondly, can anyone give me a summary of the steps to take before surgery - ie, checking for the underlying cause etc. Im not quite sure where to start to fix this problem (now that I know what it is!!)

Lastly, does anyone know of any health care funds that have paid for some/most of the surgery, and if so what category would it come under? I have heard it costs up to $5000 and certainly cant afford that, not now and not any time soon.

I have only read a few posts on this board and thank everyone already for their useful and helpful suggestions and advice.

Thanks in advance,

- gt99

Offline hypo

You need an appointment with a good endocrinologist.

Endocrinologists are experts in hormones and gynecomastia is caused by a temporary or permanent hormone imbalance.

A good endocrinologist will perform the relevant examination/consultation and hormone investigations.

They will ascertain the cause of your gynecomastia or the lack of one (idiopathic).

The latter is typical of a temporary hormonal imbalance that you had at puberty that has since resolved (this is the case for the majority of people).

If there is no hormonal imbalance present which is likely, then you can be referred to a plastic surgeon to correct the problem.

If a hormone imbalance is found (something that a significant minority of people have) you will probably receive hormonal replacement therapy of sort variety.  In such instances it is typical to have to wait a while to see how you respond before moving ahead to the same end action that of surgery.  

If the endocrinologist is happy that your hormones are stable and balanced he can refer you to a plastic surgeon or at least advice you that you are a good candidate for surgery, at which point you may wish to find your own plastic surgeon.

It is very important to understand that your gp is not qualified to conduct the tests necessary or diagnose/treat in any way your gynecomastia.  You need to go to your gp and say that you want a referral to an endocrinologist and accept nothing less.

If you are living in the US, I can help cut your gp out of the loop and get you contact details for endocrinologists in your area who you can discuss insurance details with.

If you are in the US just let me know where and I will search for an American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) endocrinologist for you that have an interest in these matters- hopefully get a list for you to pick from.

Offline Cuttin Headz

• Silver Member
  • The Person Formerly Known As Bubby_the_Tour_ G
And after the endocrinologist sees that you are irreversible with hormone, the endo refers you to a surgeon, such as Bermant or whatever, then you get your titts sucked out and excised.

but since you are only 22, id doubt you would have the money, because of school loans and shit. like wait until you get a job and get $5000.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:04:31 AM by cleanup »
Fatal Flying Guillotine providing free surgery for people with Gynecomastia, just ask Dr. Ti Tu Fat

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
gt99...

What country are you in?

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Spleen

gt99, I've had the same puffy nips since about 1983 or '84.  I'm 36 now and there's been no change, except that I'm heavier now so I have a bit more fat in the chest.  I've decided to get surgery this year so I had my doc run some bloodwork for the heck of it, but I didn't expect him to find anything since my chest has been unchanged for 20 years.  You might wanna do the same thing for a little peace of mind before you talk to a surgeon.

Offline gt99

Thankyou heaps to everyone for your responses.

I live in Sydney Australia and I think i will see an endocrinologist before I look at surgery, does anyone know a good one in this part of the world and also how much does a consultation generally cost?

- gt99

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024