Author Topic: DO I HAVE A CASE TO SUE CHILDRENS HOSPITAL FOR SURGERY MONEY?!?!?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline cgeorge1

• Bronze Member
Ok, to make a long story short, childrens hospital had me on Lupron for 2 and a half years. to hold me off of pueberty because i was starting at too young of an age. then they had me on humatrope for like three years because i had a human growth hormone deficiency. while i was taking them i developed gynecomastia. i recently looked it up and found that Lupron and humatrope both cause gynecomastia as a side effect. if you want to see for yourself go to the link on the home page that says drugs with side effects, once you open that there will be a short list and a place to click for the longer list. they are both on there and Lupron has a star in front of it. i have now been off humatrope for 2 years. I am hoping that childerens hospital will pay to fix the side effects that their medicine caused me. Does anyone know how to go about doing that? i can get all my records and proof of everything, i just need a little guidance from someone that knows the legal system.

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
Well There is a positive side to this and a negative,....positive= U get the money hopefully and u get surgery, negative= u spend thousands in a lawyer and u could lose....

Seems like your story would hold up in court, and if u have all the evidence and ur somewhat sure that u could win, I personally think U could, then I would go on with it....but I am not sure how to start the process or suing someone, u have to contact a lawyer or someone who will help you with that...
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Bottom line: Your legal costs will exceed the cost of having the surgery. When somebody sues, the lawyers are always the winners.

If Gynecomastia is a published side effect from the drug I think you would have a tough case. The defense will simply refer to the list of published side effects and say "we're sorry you got gyne from this drug, but we did inform in writting, and its up to you as a consumer to make an informed decision. Gynecomastia is one of those risks."       

Offline Gyno 44

• Silver Member
you would loose the case, your parents put you on it (your gaurdains) and the doctors always list the side effects and the possible issues to cover their butts

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Any drug or chemical liability case that you are likely to win will attract The Ambulance chasers in droves.

If you have to go looking for an attorney to take your case, you have little to no chance of winning.

That said, You'd have to prove that your Gynecomastia was caused by the drug, that your case does not fall within the 30%-40% of men who have the condition anyhow. Then you'd have to prove that the drug was used without considering its relative value vs potential side effects.  If the drug actually had the desired therapeutic effect, that fact alone may shoot your case down.

I've heard it said that there are somewhat over 200 different drugs that list Gynecomastia as a potential side effect. At the age of 70 with a number of health problems, I am now taking three medications which are on that list. So far, I've noticed no change. but even if there was an increase in breast size, changing medications is not always a good choice. It could lead to an interesting conversation with my Dr. However.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You'd have to prove that your Gynecomastia was caused by the drug, that your case does not fall within the 30%-40% of men who have the condition anyhow. Then you'd have to prove that the drug was used without considering its relative value vs potential side effects.  If the drug actually had the desired therapeutic effect, that fact alone may shoot your case down.

Grandpa Dan is right...  You would have to prove that their drug(s) alone caused your G. A daunting task my friend. Just because you took meds that had G as a possible side effect, does not mean that they actually caused it.

As skyhawk mentioned, your legal costs would far outweigh the cost of surgery.

Dude... fuhgeddaboudit. It would probably be way more trouble than it's worth. It could drag on for years and you'd probably end up loosing the case...

GB
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:27:30 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline cgeorge1

• Bronze Member
alright scratch that idea. im giong to have to go with the original plan. get a part time job in college and save up for surgery next summer.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024