Author Topic: Really worried after pre-admissions testing; can somebody answer this?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline rich19007

• Posting Member
I am scheduled to have the surgery this month and I just got back from pre-admissions testing.  The hospital told me that general anesthesia was going to be used, and the doctor never mentioned tubs/drains.  I did not know anything about general anesthesia and the pre-admission people turned around and told me that they stick a tube down my throat to breath for me.  That is something I did not need to know because now I am having second thoughts.

In addition, most of the surgeries I have read about on this site had local anesthesia and twilight on them, in addtion to drains.  The doctor I am going to is Dr. Lam.  He is a plastic surgeon right outside of Philadelphia in Langhorne, PA.  He never mentioned drains and is using general anesthesia.  Does this scenario sound right?  I am already an anxious person and now I am really worried.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
It sounds like you are left unsure about what they are actually going to do.  I believe you need to get back in touch with the PS and get those questions answered to your satisfaction.  Ask about the drains.  Ask if they'll be doing lipo and excision or just lipo (that's really important).  I really wouldn't worry about the anesthesia.  Ask to see some before and after photos.  You are entitled to know these things before you go under the knife.  If you want, let us know what those answers are and we'll give you our opinions on them.  Remember, you don't work for the surgeon.  He works for you.   ;)
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline gabbyhey

• Gold Member
Hey I just had surgery under general anesthesia.  It was no big deal.  They stuck a breathing tube down my throat, but they did it after I was knocked out.  Supposedly they take it out once you wake up, but I don't remember and the anesthesiologist (sp?) said most people don't.  It is also common to have a little bit of a sore throat.  I had mine after I woke up the next day.  Just a little sore throat that went away after a few hours. 

I have drainage tubes and bulbs that I have clipped to my bandages.  I like the idea of having the fluid come straight out of me instead of pooling up inside and stretching the skin. (that can happen, it happend to my dad years ago and made the condition worse.)  I wouldn't worry, especially about the breathing tube.  I had one used, and I never once saw or felt the breathing tube go in or out.  You'll be fine, go ahead with the surgery.

Oh yeah, and as for recovering from general anesthesia... It felt like a bad hangover for like 30 minutes.  It turns out that I had caffeine withdrawal on top of feeling groggy.  I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything for like 7 hours before the surgery, so I had a diet coke afterwards and felt fine.  The anesthesia and its effects wore off in about an hour.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:17:02 PM by gabbyhey »

Offline ddaavviiddd

• Silver Member
I would not have the operation w/o drains,  my drains and filled the tube twice in the past 3 days and that fluid would  have gone back into my body to do harm and made me heal slower and possibly given me a hermatoma

Offline rich19007

• Posting Member
Thank you for the feedback.  I really feel alot better.  I am glad to know that general anesthesia is normal.  I will bring up the drain issue to the doctor.  I have an appointment on the 10th.  If I am going to do something, i would like it done right and not have to keep going back due to complications.  I just think that the hospital told me too much; what I don't know won't hurt me -lol.  Anyway, you guys rerally are great.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024