Author Topic: What would YOU do? (w/pics)  (Read 3281 times)

Offline fivefifty

• Posting Member
I have had gynecomastia since puberty, and it's always really bothered me. I've never been comfortable with my shirt off, and I can't wear tank tops, tight shirts, and some button-downs. I visit with a CB therapist on a weekly basis, and I'm working on overcoming all of my avoidance behaviors; but as you all know, it's extremely difficult to become comfortable with gyne, especially as a 24-year-old single college student. It doesn't help that I have to see shirtless guys with perfectly normal chests all over campus every day. It'd be easier to cope with the gyne if I were older and in a more secure place in love and life. 

Right now, I'm 5'7''-ish and 150lbs--a completely healthy weight. I'm currently using P90x and diet to cut my BF as low as possible, but I fear that I'll still be unhappy with my chest, even after all of my hard work. You can imagine how this thought kills my motivation and overall mood. I'm not against surgery, but as is typical for most people, I'm afraid of the cost and potential deformities that go along with it. The last thing I want is to rack up over $5k in debt just to have to deflated nipples and an irregularly-shaped chest.

I'm sort of in a holding pattern right now. I'm trying to maintain the motivation to cut my BF down as much as possible. I'm telling myself that, if I'm still unhappy with my chest at a low BF, then I'll get the surgery. For whatever reason, this mantra isn't helping my motivation all that much. Maybe I should just get the surgery first and then get ripped?

So, based on this information about my situation, I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions on what you would do if you were me. There's no right or wrong answer, and I'm definitely not one to get defensive. I know that your opinion is shaped by your own experience with gynecomastia, and that is completely fine. I appreciate all input. Thank you!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
What I actually did is not relevant because times change. I have had the condition since I was about 12. I am now 76. Safe, Effective, and reliable surgery with consistent good results did not exist until I was old enough that I had different priorities so I did nothing. I sometimes joke that if I was given the money for the surgery I would probably use it for a down payment on a Sailboat.

Surgery is now a good option, but obviously it is not the right choice for everyone. In most cases, there are no actual symptoms and no physical distress so surgery is not a physical necessity. Obviously the condition can be very embarrassing and it can be emotionally stressful for some men.

Whether or not to have surgery is a question that only you can answer. There are men with much larger breasts than yours that simply ignore the condition and get on with their lives. There are men also with much smaller breasts that feel compelled to have their breasts surgically reduced. There is no right or wrong answer the suits everyone. But there is an answer that suits you and only you know what that answer actually is. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline startofnewlife

• Posting Member
I had a similar (mildish) case than you and had surgery 3 months (today exactly actually) ago. I was at a point where the risks and cost were not factors anymore. Now i can say it was the best decision of my life. If u are anything like me.. it doesnt get better and u dont get more accepting over time (regardless of BF if it is gland gyne). I lost about 16kg to no avail..

I highly recommended going for a consultation at a respected plastic surgeon, if only to get an informed opinion.

Good luck. I was where you are and i know i much it suck.

Ciao

Offline troubleddoc

• Bronze Member
Bro I think its worth it. I want to undergo it.have zeroed on surgeons here. This month mostly. Just I wanted to accept it.mind it m a doc myself .everyday I think about it aleast 5-6 times.totally demoralises me. Feel helpless though m in great shape but can go shirtless. Why don't u do it abroad like in India. Where u can do it in 1000 $. But find a good surgeon. I'll let u know whom I opt.but m 23 n think a 1000$ is worth it. Feel low though have been quite a dude
Operated by Dr hari Menon on 16 June 2014☺☺☺😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Offline Sven

• Posting Member
I have had gynecomastia since puberty, and it's always really bothered me. I've never been comfortable with my shirt off, and I can't wear tank tops, tight shirts, and some button-downs.

If it is bothering you this much, I think you already know what the best option is for you. 

I'll share my experience since it may help you.  I am 26 and had a similar case to what you have(although mine was asymmetrical, so it was always pointed out that my one nip was way bigger than the other "cyclops nipple") I just underwent the surgery 11 weeks ago, and I realized that I really overthought the whole thing.  It wasn't painful, it wasn't scary, and the recovery was much easier than I expected.  If you are financially responsible and can handle the cost of the surgery without harming your future, do it!  You will be so glad to be rid of the gyno and you will be able to confidently wear any shirt you want and you won't hesitate to take your shirt off at the beach or pool.

Offline fivefifty

• Posting Member
I really appreciate everyone's opinions. I am leaning toward getting the surgery, though it seems like such a daunting task to find a good surgeon. There's so much misinformation out there, and it is hard to know who the right person for the job is. It blows my mind that some surgeons write fake reviews for themselves to garner business. I couldn't imagine any other medical professional doing this. I fear going to the wrong person and coming out of the surgery deformed. Then what do I do?

Also, should I get down to a low BF% before getting surgery? I've found a lot of conflicting information out there in regard to this question. I've found some who say it doesn't matter, while others say the amount of fat/gland removed is decided by the amount of fat on your body. As in, surgeons make your breasts match the rest of your body. At present, I'm carrying more fat on my chest than I'd like to be. Maybe it'd be a better idea to get the surgery when I'm at my desired BF%/lean, athletic build? I'm just speculating about this, as I really have no clue.

Thanks again for the replies. Keep them coming!

Offline N8712

• Posting Member
Looking at your pics your body is what is described as "skinny fat". Meaning, you have a high proportion of body fat to muscle. This is easily corrected with diet. Eating less carbs, cutting out processed sugar and increasing your healthy fat/protein intake. And a good weight lifting regime.

Your chest will not be improved by lowering your body fat. In fact, a lower percentage of body fat can make the condition look worse as it accentuates the tissue around the nipple, which doesn't respond to weight loss.

If you are done with puberty, I am very sorry to tell you your only option is surgery. If you do elect for surgery, the following weeks after would be an ideal time to get your body fat lowered which will give you the flat, contoured chest you're looking for.

I don't know any US based surgeons, but if you take a look at the featured doctors on the right hand side of this website, you will see Elliot Jacobs listed. I have looked through his website and some of the cases he has worked on and I can see his work is exemplary.

I've been where you are and now I am nearly 4 months post op I can say it was one of the best decisions of my life. I returned from a beach vacation last week and to be able to take my top off and not be self conscious was surreal.
My views are my own and any advice I give is from my personal experience with gynecomastia and the surgery I had.

Offline fivefifty

• Posting Member
Looking at your pics your body is what is described as "skinny fat". Meaning, you have a high proportion of body fat to muscle. This is easily corrected with diet. Eating less carbs, cutting out processed sugar and increasing your healthy fat/protein intake. And a good weight lifting regime.

Your chest will not be improved by lowering your body fat. In fact, a lower percentage of body fat can make the condition look worse as it accentuates the tissue around the nipple, which doesn't respond to weight loss.

If you are done with puberty, I am very sorry to tell you your only option is surgery. If you do elect for surgery, the following weeks after would be an ideal time to get your body fat lowered which will give you the flat, contoured chest you're looking for.

I don't know any US based surgeons, but if you take a look at the featured doctors on the right hand side of this website, you will see Elliot Jacobs listed. I have looked through his website and some of the cases he has worked on and I can see his work is exemplary.

I've been where you are and now I am nearly 4 months post op I can say it was one of the best decisions of my life. I returned from a beach vacation last week and to be able to take my top off and not be self conscious was surreal.

Yes, I definitely drew the short straw when it comes to genetics--skinny fat and gynecomastia. I started eating a really clean diet about a year ago. Before that, and especially during my teenage years, it was a lot of crappy, processed foods and sugar. Right now, I'm at 2100 calories with 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. I'll lower the protein and add carbs in about a week when I start phase 2 of P90X. The program is healthy balance of weightlifting and interval training cardio.

The cost really starts to add up if I have to travel to Chicago or NYC for surgery. In the US, it's not really feasible to drive or take a train across the country. For long distances, we have to fly, and it's incredibly expensive. I live in the Pacific Northwest, but my family lives near Dallas, TX. Either of these markets are available to me, but I can't find much information about surgeons in either area (Dallas/Austin/OKC or Eugene, Portland, Seattle). It's very sporadic and inconsistent.

Anyway, after reading everyone's comments, I'm nearly 100% sure that I'll get the surgery. Now, I've just got to figure out the logistics and get over the fear of having a surgeon mess up and leave me looking even worse  :-\

Offline nipsofpeace

• Posting Member

Yes, I definitely drew the short straw when it comes to genetics--skinny fat and gynecomastia. I started eating a really clean diet about a year ago. Before that, and especially during my teenage years, it was a lot of crappy, processed foods and sugar. Right now, I'm at 2100 calories with 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. I'll lower the protein and add carbs in about a week when I start phase 2 of P90X. The program is healthy balance of weightlifting and interval training cardio.

The cost really starts to add up if I have to travel to Chicago or NYC for surgery. In the US, it's not really feasible to drive or take a train across the country. For long distances, we have to fly, and it's incredibly expensive. I live in the Pacific Northwest, but my family lives near Dallas, TX. Either of these markets are available to me, but I can't find much information about surgeons in either area (Dallas/Austin/OKC or Eugene, Portland, Seattle). It's very sporadic and inconsistent.

Anyway, after reading everyone's comments, I'm nearly 100% sure that I'll get the surgery. Now, I've just got to figure out the logistics and get over the fear of having a surgeon mess up and leave me looking even worse  :-\

I think you should definitely have the surgery.

The severity of my gyno was just a bit less than yours, (I'm 24 as well, had this since age 12, and about the same height as you but a bit heavier due to more muscle) and I can tell you that lifting seriously for the past 6 years to make the gyno go away (I now know you can't exercise the gyno away, but that's the reason I originally started lifting) has not helped, if anything it made it worse, by accentuating it - like N8712 said. I can also relate to the 'avoidance tendencies' and stuff like that, gyno has been a big contributing factor to my depression the past two years and I've been single for the past 5 years.

I finally had the surgery done last week and am still recovering. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with the results, but 1. it's probably too early to tell, and 2. I'll probably never be 100% satisfied with how my chest looks because my genetics are shit and my chest has a terrible shape to it.

You say your parents are near Dallas, TX...I'm in Plano, which you probably know is quite close. My surgery was done by Dr. Dr. Wilcox (you can see his picture on the right of the screen) and do some reading on his website and watch some of his videos on YouTube). I think he is supposed to be the best in the area. The technique he uses goes in through the side of the chest (near the armpit) instead of the traditional method of cutting just below the nips. I think I prefer that. Also, they have a free consultation there, which is why I originally went, because the doctor I was looking at before him was charging $100 for a consult and $8k total for the surgery. Dr. Wilcox charged me $5200 for excision of the glands and lipo. The whole process was made easy by the staff (anesthesiologist and nurses), as easy as you could expect a surgery like this to go. I still don't know what I will think of the post-op results (because that is still a couple months away), but I can let you know when I come to a conclusion. I'm not sure how long you are willing to wait, I just couldn't fucking live with it any more...12 years of hell, I couldn't bear another month.

Also, they have a payment plan with CareCredit and it allows you to spread the ~$5k payment over 12 months, interest free. I think if you talk to your parents about how much this affects you, they will probably help you with the cost. It was super hard for me to talk to my parents about this stuff, but they ended up covering half the cost for me. If you decide to have the surgery, I would recommend staying for the first week at your parents place. It helps to have someone to pay attention to all of your meds and when you're supposed to take them / make food for you, because you aren't gunna want to do it (the pain meds make you feel quite drunk), and it's going to be hard to reach upwards to get stuff in the fridge / from cabinets / for the microwave / etc. And also when you have your first shower on the 5th day, you will definitely need help getting the compression vest and bandages off. And not to mention the first post-op visit with the surgeon is on the 8th day, I wouldn't skip that (mine is tomorrow actually).

Good luck man, feel free to ask me any questions or PM any time.

Offline N8712

• Posting Member
I finally had the surgery done last week and am still recovering. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with the results, but 1. it's probably too early to tell, and 2. I'll probably never be 100% satisfied with how my chest looks because my genetics are shit and my chest has a terrible shape to it.

Congrats on having the surgery! Please DO NOT be discouraged with your chest at 1 week. I remember what my chest looked like at week 1 and it looks NOTHING like how it looks now.

Swelling can destroy the look and make it appear as though you've made a huge mistake. Couple that with the pain and discomfort of wearing a compression garment and you have a recipe for pessimism.

Offline fivefifty

• Posting Member

Congrats on having the surgery! Please DO NOT be discouraged with your chest at 1 week. I remember what my chest looked like at week 1 and it looks NOTHING like how it looks now.

Swelling can destroy the look and make it appear as though you've made a huge mistake. Couple that with the pain and discomfort of wearing a compression garment and you have a recipe for pessimism.

That's good to hear. It is disheartening to see so many people who are unhappy with their surgery results.

Offline nipsofpeace

• Posting Member

Thanks a lot for the reassurance man, I appreciate it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024