Author Topic: 14 yr old son's surgery is in two weeks  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Momtryingtohelp

I posted a year ago before we consulted the first surgeon for my son and thought I would post an update.  The first surgeon we consulted a year ago was not helpful at all.  He basically told my son to "live with it" and if he "still felt the same way at 25 get the surgery then".  Needless to say my son was devastated and I was MAD.  We had already consulted with our family doctor, had all the hormone tests done and my son had been dealing with it since age 11 or 12.  We waited almost a year before trying again.  He wore compression shirts and this helped him temporarily.
The great news is that we consulted with a pediatric plastic surgeon last week and after reviewing his records and doing an exam he immediately agreed to do the surgery!  No question in his mind.  In fact he indicated that it is on the severe side because he said there is a chance he may have to have another surgery for skin removal.  We agreed to go ahead and try it without any skin removal (to avoid major scarring) and if necessary he will have a second procedure.    I am just praying that his skin adapts and he can avoid obvious scars. 
I am just so thankful that he was able to be open with us and that we can get the surgery done for him.  It will be a financial sacrifice but I would pay twice as much to see him go to the beach or wear just one shirt!  I wanted to do this update because I want you to know that just because one doctor won't do the surgery you should not give up.  If you are a son reading this - tell your parents!  They love you and would do anything for you.  You just have to tell them what is going on - trust me, they know something is wrong they just don't know what it is.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Unfortunately, not all parents are as understanding as you. Even so, a boy or young man can gain nothing through silence. Being open with parents can be a great help, as in your case, but even if help is not forthcoming nothing is lost by being open.

Your son has youth on his side, hopefull the skin will be elasic enough that further surgery is not required.
Grandpa Dan

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Welcome to the forum, I hope all goes well for your son!  I posted a link below for another thread that you may want to read up on.  You are not alone here, and I'm sure Dassugan can also offer a great deal of insight for you and your son as well.  I know he'll really appreciate what you are doing for him!

www.gynecomastia.org/smf/2/surgery-yesterday-for-13-year-old-son/
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline Momtryingtohelp

I did connect with the other mom and she has been a great help off-line.  So great to hear from someone in the same situation.  Thanks!

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
You're very welcome!  If anyone would be able to relate, or help in your circumstance, it would be her.  I'm glad to hear that you have already spoken.  Good luck with everything!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024