Author Topic: when can i take a shower?  (Read 6492 times)

Offline iki4life

• Posting Member
i am 3 days post op, and yesterday i had a sponge bath, but i kept my vest on....i was wondering when i can apply water to my chest so i can remove the markers from my chest...also, i still feel a good amount of pain

Offline gynegonegood

• Posting Member
My surgeon said three days and than you can take the vest off just for a shower.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My usual regimen is to allow a shower after 48 hrs.  I very rarely use drains, but if drains are used, then you may not shower until the drains are removed.

Every surgeon has a different regime with which he feels comfortable. Bet advice is to check with your own surgeon

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

i am 3 days post op, and yesterday i had a sponge bath, but i kept my vest on....i was wondering when i can apply water to my chest so i can remove the markers from my chest...also, i still feel a good amount of pain

Time to shower after surgery depends on what was done, surgical technique, dressing, type of compression, drains, and other factors best discussed with your surgeon. 

Almost all of my patients are able to take a light shower 24 hours after surgery.  This extra time gives my sealed dressings after gynecomastia surgery time to better bond to the skin.

I rarely need drains with my techniques.  Patients with drains, cannot shower until the drains are removed. 

My after surgery chest compression permits easy access to showering.  Some doctors use sticky foam, tape, or ace bandages which can be difficult to shower with.

Solvents that can remove skin markers may loosen steristrips.  For my patients, I suggest they wait until the markings wear off on their own.

Pain and Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery depends many factors as mentioned above.  My patients tell me they feel like they are sore, like they just had a heavy work out.  Although I prescribe a strong medication, my patients typically find plain Tylenol more than enough to keep them comfortable.

Have you asked your doctor about your comfort or showering?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline tigertown

• Posting Member
i had to wait a week, but i had a week off work so i pretty much just grubbed out hardcore hahaha

i was so itchy tho, when i had my shower i was in there for like 40 mins haha and i came out RED

Offline MSJ108

Waiting for a shower after surgery was the worst!!

DrBermant

Waiting for a shower after surgery was the worst!!

I agree.  That is why I evolved my techniques to permit very early showering after surgery!

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline MSJ108

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024