Author Topic: Does Massage Really Help?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline macman213

• Bronze Member
I've been massaging and massaging and it seems like it loosens things up when i'm doing it, but that it also causes a little bit of swelling. Haven't noticed a huge difference so far, though 6.5 weeks out. Do any of you really see a benefit of massaging?

Offline Dave92

• Posting Member
There doesnt appear to be any hard evidence for or against it. Some surgeons recommend it and others don't think much of it. Trained masseuses use massage to break up scar tissue and reduce tension to aid recovery from musculoskeletal injuries but an untrained person may not have the required technique or delicateness to massage post-gyne surgery.

Offline Chad313

• Posting Member
I'm 3 months out and I stopped massaging for awhile because I thought it was pointless.

I had my 3 month post op appointment today was instructed to keep massaging every day for two minutes twice a day.

I wasn't 100% happy with my left side and I was told it was because the scar tissue needs to be broken up and spread out.

Well, just from getting back to massaging a few times today, the left side already has seen a big improvement especially when I flex.

Definitely keep at it if your surgeon told you to.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Massage, at best, can deal with some swelling due to fluid.  It will mobilize the fluid and try to make it disappear.  Massage does not break down scar tissue on the chest.

Massage early in the healing process can actually cause swelling -- therefore I do not recommend massage until at least two months after surgery.

And then, it may help or not, but it won't make things worse.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024