Author Topic: looking for non-surgical solutions (arimidex, etc) in VA/MD/DC  (Read 2798 times)

Offline tallman

• Posting Member
I have the beginnings of gynecomastia.  It is being caused by testosterone injections I am taking to improve libido, and the subsequent conversion of testosterone to estrogen.  My endochronologist has refused to prescribe medications like arimidex.  I'm very interested in natural products if they actually work, but he knows nothing about them; otherwise I want to go the prescription route.  I do not want to go with surgery if at all possible.

Can anyone recommend someone, probably an endochronologist, in Northern Virginia or surrounding areas who knows a lot about the chemistry of what is happening, and what I can do about it?  Hopefully someone who also is knowledgeable about natural alternatives.  Thanks.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The natural or herbal preparaations are of no value, Save your money.

Since you are already in the care of an Endocrinologist, You would be throwing your money away and running some risk if you go against that Dr's. advice.

You might try a different Endocrinologist, but shopping around for a Doctor who will give Medications on your request is not the smartest thing in the world.

Michael Jackson had a Doctor who would prescribe whatever he wanted.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Totally agree with Paa_Paw.

No herbals, "natural" products or supplements would do what a prescription med can do -- if it is indicated. 

When endocrinologists treat patients, they frequently monitor blood levels of various hormones and tweak the doses slightly to adjust for optimal levels.  No-one can do this on their own, blindly, and get any type of result.

It sounds as if you might need an estrogen blocker.  Best to speak frankly with your endo to find out why it is not being prescribed, particularly if you are initially beginning to develop gyne.  That would be the time to treat the problem and nip it in the bud if possible (sorry for the pun).

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline tallman

• Posting Member
A quick glance through nih.gov, medline, and wikipedia show numerous articles of herbs and foods containing anti-estrogens.  I'm looking for doctors who are informed and have studied these things, not just quick opinions.  Samples below.  

I will look elsewhere for physicians and lab work that has actually tested these compounds.  Thanks anyway.

From nih:
Flaxseed is sometimes tried for cancer because it is broken down by the body into chemicals called “lignans.” Lignans are similar to the female hormone estrogen - so similar, in fact, that they compete with estrogen for a part in certain chemical reactions. As a result, natural estrogens seem to become less powerful in the body.

from nih:
Determination of urinary lignans and phytoestrogen metabolites, potential antiestrogens and anticarcinogens, in urine of women on various habitual diets.

from wikipedia:
Indole-3-carbinol (C9H9NO) is produced by the breakdown of the glucosinolate glucobrassicin, which can be found at relatively high levels in cruciferous vegetables. ...has antiestrogenic effects

Offline xelnaga13

Testosterone replacement therapy is a rapidly growing area of medicine. MANY MANY MANY endo's have 0 idea what they are doing. I know this from first hand experience and from being in the bodybuilding community for the better part of my life. T replacement therapy should include testosterone, anti estrogens, and hcg. Do your own research. I will not advise anyone to self medicate, but I do advise you to learn enough about the subject to know if you doctor is competent.

I had an endo literally walk out on me mid conversation during my first visit when i questioned his T replacement protocol. Scary stuff.

Offline tallman

• Posting Member
Thanks for your reply and encouragement.  I have been looking through the endo's in the DC metro area, but none yet have said on their websites that they treat gynecomastia, even though some do.  As you said, few seem to know what they're doing in this area.  The two I have gone to will do the testosterone, but not the antiestrogens.  Thanks for the tip on hcg - I'd read that before, but had forgotten to ask endo's if they take hcg into account when they do their testing.

I am self-medicating, if you call it that, through herbal and over-the-counter drugs until I can find something better.  Right now I'm doing high doses of turmeric, a simple spice, that many swear by - can't hurt, and could be helping.  But I know that the longer this condition goes on, the harder it is to reverse, and I've had it for 4 months now, so I'm getting worried.

Anyone with ideas for finding endo's in my area who prescribe antiestrogens, please let me know.  Thanks.

Gene

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
The first thing I would consider or not your pre-TRT blood tests even warrant you being on TRT in the first place.  Focus mainly on your Bioavailable T levels as opposed to your Total T level.

If you are taking a large injection spaced out more than one week apart then you need to lower your dose and give them no more than one week apart.  It would be best to do them twice per week.

Lastly look at your total weekly T dose.  Make sure it is a physiological dose and not a steroid dosage.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Testosterone replacement therapy is a rapidly growing area of medicine. MANY MANY MANY endo's have 0 idea what they are doing. I know this from first hand experience and from being in the bodybuilding community for the better part of my life. T replacement therapy should include testosterone, anti estrogens, and hcg. Do your own research. I will not advise anyone to self medicate, but I do advise you to learn enough about the subject to know if you doctor is competent.

I had an endo literally walk out on me mid conversation during my first visit when i questioned his T replacement protocol. Scary stuff.

That's a interesting statement. Can you provide a link to any medical papers which say to include AI's and hcg as part of T replacement?  If T and E levels are closely monitored and in line, why AI and HCG?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:03:40 PM by greatlakes »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024