Author Topic: how do you clean your chest after surgery?  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Jopet

• Silver Member
  • MANILA, PHILIPPINES
Its my first day of recovery since my gynecomastia surgery yesterday.
I wonder how to clean it to avoid infections or so whatever.

help me guys.
will appreciate your feedbacks and advises.
*** THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF WASTED TIME IS THE TIME NOT GETTING STARTED. ***

Offline MrRossZ28

• Posting Member
my dr. had me use Hibiclens walgreens has it

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i'm surprised he didn't give you any instruction ??? if the skin were closed up after a day or two i would have just dabbed it lightly with cotton and peroxide, but what he said is probably better. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It takes about 48 hours for a wound to seal.  Therefore, I usually allow showering 48 hours after surgery or later.  Obviously, you don't want to scrub your chest vigorously.  If there are drains in place, I would wait until at least 48 hours after the drains have been removed.  And of course, if there are problems with any wound, then consult with your surgeon first.

For most of my patients, allowing soap and water to drizzle on the chest during the first shower is just fine.  This is not rocket science -- and I believe in keeping things as simple as possible.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Its my first day of recovery since my gynecomastia surgery yesterday.
I wonder how to clean it to avoid infections or so whatever.

help me guys.
will appreciate your feedbacks and advises.

This is a question you should be asking your own doctor.  After surgery care really depends on what surgery was done, dressings applied, drains, surgeon preferences, your medical condition, and many other factors.  Some dressings will not tolerate washing, getting wet, or other actions.  Actually I find it rather sad that a patient feels the need to come to a forum to ask such questions which should have been addressed during normal patient education by a surgeon.  If you are not certain about such an issue, why not call your own doctor????

For my patients I normally use a Sealed Gynecomastia Male Chest Dressing that can take limited exposures to showers 24 hours after surgery.  This combination which I evolved years ago, seems to have become popular enough that companies have combined the elements into products that come as a unit.  I still individualize this dressing for each of my patients.  This sealed dressing better protects against infection and is best left alone until removal 6 to 10 days later.  Adding extra germicidal soaps is normally not a good option unless there is a specific need.  For some of my patients, there is an open wound with paper tapes reinforcing the skin.  They also can typically bathe 24 hours after surgery, but more extensive surgery patients sometimes need to wait longer.  Those with drains (rare in my practice), washing risks severe infection.  That is why I prefer to individualize the washing care for my patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Jopet

• Silver Member
  • MANILA, PHILIPPINES
Thanks for the advises.
Unfortunately, my doctor didn't say anything about how to clean it. I just asked the nurse on what to do about it.
I'm using hydrogen peroxide and an antibacterial ointment ,BACTROBAN.
I am scared to clean it with soap and water. My Mom told me not to because it might cause "pus".

Cleaning a wound i guess is necessary. I just wonder how to clean this kind of surgery.
Thanks anyway... and I hope this thread might help others.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude...

Why would you want to 'clean' your open incision wounds anyways? Have you been swimming in a mud hole or something? Your wounds will be sterile from the procedure. Very little chance of them getting infected...

Just keep the wounds covered for 48 hours until they scab over and then all is necessary after that is a mild soap and water cleansing...

It's just common-sense...

GB...

Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Jopet

• Silver Member
  • MANILA, PHILIPPINES
Well, thanks for the kind words.
Its just I dont have any idea on what to do
when it comes to cleaning a wound...FROM a surgery.

I always have it in mind that I wanted to be more cautious about it
because it was done FROM a surgery so that's why I ask.
I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

And now I know it... thanks to you guys again.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024