Author Topic: General surgeon questions  (Read 1255 times)

Offline snc

• Posting Member
Well its my first post on here but ive been reading for awhile. I have had gyno for years, since i was about 15 and now im 36, Ive had enough and went to go see my family doc. He agreed that i had it and sent me for bloodwork. It all came back normal so i guess that was good. 
He told me he was going to refer me to a surgeon and have it removed and that the Nova Scotia (Canada) provincial health care would cover it all. That part surprised me. He didsnt even ask about my work benefits (sunlife). I asked about a plastic surgeon from the city doing it because of scaring and no lipo. He said the province will most likely not pay for a plastic surgeon unless referred by the general surgeon. I said that having just my gland removed will make it look terrible and the fatty tissue will still be there. He understood and said the other guy was a good surgeon and to just ask him about scarring, lipo and being referred to a plastic surgeon. I will see this guy in a week or two. 
I guess what im wondering is how often to general surgeons pass this off to another and will a general ever do lipo? Should i still contact my work benefits to see if they will pay and what do i tell them? do i say ive been referred to a general surgeon but dont want to go because it may look bad?
I am excited that my doc referred me so fast and said its paid for but a butchered chest and fat deposits left over dont sound so good. I guess i need to see him first but any help would be great.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You would be much better advised to have your surgery performed by a plastic surgeon, particularly one who has considerable experience in gyne surgery.  This is not to disparage general surgeons, but they simply do not do a lot of gyne operations -- if at all.  And your best chance to get an excellent result is the first (and preferably only) time.  If it doesn't turn out well, then you will be playing catch-up and the results may never be quite as good.

If you are put in a position of accepting whatever surgeon your health system will pay for, you may be wise to consider paying for it out of your own pocket in order to assure yourself of the best possible results.  Remember, if you get a good result, you will enjoy it for a lifetime -- and long after any fee would be forgotten.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline snc

• Posting Member
Well i may go to the consultation and see what he says. Maybe he will refer me to a plastic surgeon and i may also go to a private clinic and get a quote there too, over email without seeing me they guessed at 8-10 grand based on gland removal and lipo, alot more than i wanted to pay.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024