Author Topic: When Can we start gymming?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline sasidon

• Bronze Member
when do we know our body is ready to start gymming?
is it when there is absolutely nill pain?
**Surgery done @ Appollo chennai**
Surgeon : Dr K Ramachandran

Surgery exp : http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15201.0
Pics : http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=15513.0
**Pretty happy with the results...**
"All you need is to be mentally strong with enough financial support...get them off"

Offline broadsidebrother

• Bronze Member
I hear its good to wait about 5 to 6 weeks, so thats how long im waiting. its been almost 4 weeks for me.

Offline gyne75

• Posting Member
Had my surgery w/Dr. Jacobs, and he said any gym activity is OK after 3 weeks. I'm on my 4th week post-op right now, and I've been working out for the last week. A little swelling after the cardio, and I make sure to put the binder back on right after the workout. Otherwise the exercise hasn't seemed to effect the healing process in any negative way...

Offline broadsidebrother

• Bronze Member
Well every doctors different, but I got my info from a doc that has done more surgerys then any other doctor. I guess everone one has there opinions.

Offline SBShasthapuffynips

• Posting Member
Had my surgery w/Dr. Jacobs, and he said any gym activity is OK after 3 weeks. I'm on my 4th week post-op right now, and I've been working out for the last week. A little swelling after the cardio, and I make sure to put the binder back on right after the workout. Otherwise the exercise hasn't seemed to effect the healing process in any negative way...

Does doing heavy weight such as heavy deadlift, squat, bench press is a a problem?

Cause god knows im addicted to lifting real heavy and i will turn crazy if i see my chest, quads and back decrease in size, anyway could you perform those, or only cardio?

Offline broadsidebrother

• Bronze Member
Im the same as you about lifting. Take a break from all the eating and lifting, its only temperary. It will all come back and even be bigger and stronger.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I waited about 12 weeks.  I figured why rush back into it? As long as you don't pig out on crappy food while you are healing you won't get fat and shouldn't loose too much muscle.  Give your body a chance to do some nice healing. Plenty of time to hit the weights and catch up later.

I might just add i'm a very careful fellow. 

"Abundans cautela non nocet" - Abundant caution does no harm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:04:56 AM by The_G0rn »
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
I waited about 12 weeks.  I figured why rush back into it? As long as you don't pig out on crappy food while you are healing you won't get fat and shouldn't loose too much muscle.  Give your body a chance to do some nice healing. Plenty of time to hit the weights and catch up later.

damn 12 weeks?? thats smart but i dont kno if i'll be able to do it lol. i'm dying to workout again and i'm 17 days post op. i've gotten so much smaller (muscle wise lol). i can see how steroids is so addicting now lol. i had a severe case and was told i can start working out after 3 weeks (warming myself up) and then go to full workout mode in week 4. so next week i'm goin to see what my limits are and just work from there. i dont expect to have intense workout like pre op till 6 weeks post op.
btw my doc was jacobs too

Offline sasidon

• Bronze Member

damn 12 weeks?? thats smart but i dont kno if i'll be able to do it lol. i'm dying to workout again and i'm 17 days post op. i've gotten so much smaller (muscle wise lol). i can see how steroids is so addicting now lol. i had a severe case and was told i can start working out after 3 weeks (warming myself up) and then go to full workout mode in week 4. so next week i'm goin to see what my limits are and just work from there. i dont expect to have intense workout like pre op till 6 weeks post op.

has ur pain subsided cmpltly???

Offline gyne75

• Posting Member

Does doing heavy weight such as heavy deadlift, squat, bench press is a a problem?

Cause god knows im addicted to lifting real heavy and i will turn crazy if i see my chest, quads and back decrease in size, anyway could you perform those, or only cardio?

Well, I haven't been doing any real heavy lifting...I just got back into free weights, only a few basic exercises at moderate weight, and so far I've avoided directly working out the chest altogether. That's just because I don't want to stress that area at all at this point, though Jacobs says that chest work is OK after 3 weeks. I am just wanting to ease back into all of this, but my upper body strength feels all right, there's no pain or anything, and I could probably be working it much harder & still be all right at this point. So if you were already doing heavy lifting before the surgery, I think you would be able to bounce right back into that after three weeks provided everything was healing normally. For cardio, I've been running on the treadmill, and getting my heart rate & blood pressure up like that is what leads to some increase of swelling afterwards, which I then ease down by putting my binder back on once I get home. Hope this helps.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member

[/quote]

Well it depends what your doctor considers a "workout".  To me, working out is heavy compound exercises like bench press, deadlifts, squats.  And of course wide grip chin ups and dips. 
And come on, there is no way you can do that sort of thing for quite a while after surgery.
If he means having a little trot on the treadmill, then yeah go ahead. Make your day.

Offline Badgene

• Silver Member
my surgeon recommended me for 3 weeks. its been at least 4 now since the op and he said I could go back to working out or doing whatever I want... but the incisions still kinda hurt a bit and feel real tight. So I am giving it plenty of time. Then I'm going to start in slow and pick it up. I just started into the whole "lifting" recently anyway.

Offline trojan213

• Bronze Member

Your muscles probably just seem smaller because they aren't swollen from lifting heavy weight. You can't lose significant muscle in such a short time period unless you are literally starving. Strength loss should also be absolutely minimal if anything.

If you are really concerned about it, you can help slow muscle protein loss by supplementing your diet with proper essential amino acids and carbohydrates.

We have the rest of our lives to work out! I wouldn't want to jeopardize the results of surgery/healing just so I don't drop a few pounds on my bench press. According to most information on this board, healing is a long process. You don't want to look back and think, dang maybe I should have waited.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024