Author Topic: How long do I need to wear compression vest after surgery?  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Zim

• Posting Member
Hello all,

I recently had surgery for very small gyno lumps. Had the gland completely removed. I am now 2 weeks post op and I'm really surprised at how good it looks. Completely flat, nipples look normal, no visible scarring, nobody could tell I'd had surgery or had ever had gyno.
My surgeon said to wear compression vest 24 hrs a day for 4 weeks. I know I should stick to what my surgeon says but it is sooo uncomfortable. Tight, itchy, sweaty and really unpleasant. Its a Macon one.  I have to wash it every day. I understand the time immediately post-op is the most important for compression so I was wondering if I could replace/"downgrade" it to a compression shirt (like Under Armour ones) to wear in the day. I would still wear the Macon compression vest at night. I have one of these and its very tight and 100x more comfortable.

I have looked online and the timeframe surgeons give for wearing compression vests varies greatly. Some say 1 week, others say 6. General consensus seems to be - it depends on the patient and the severity of their gyno/the surgery.

Offline Zim

• Posting Member
Well wearing a vest under the compression garment helps a lot.

Unfortunately the swelling gyno pain/discomfort that I always had previous to surgery has returned. I don't understand how when I had the entire glands removed.

Offline Custer

• Posting Member
2 weeks post-op is still extremely early, what you are describing sounds like post - op swelling / brusing to me, it should settle down with time. It can take 6 - 9 months to see the final result. If you have concerns then call your Surgeon who should put your mind at ease. 
I had surgery 9 weeks ago and still have some swelling and discomfort.

As far as the compression vest goes, I was told 2 weeks at 24 hours and then the next 2 weeks either day or night (whichever is less uncomfortable)

Good luck

Offline Zim

• Posting Member
Thank you for the encouragement. I am telling myself its just post-op bruising/swelling pain but it's exactly the same pain I had pre-op, like a dull aching behind my nipples.
At the moment I can feel really hard lumps behind my nipples, much bigger and harder than the glands were (which were entirely removed). I assume this is scar tissue/swelling which will subside slowly in the months to come? I vaguely remember my surgeon saying to firmly massage the scar tissue once I'm 3 weeks post-op which may help reduce the swelling?

The excision scar underneath my areola is practically invisible already and there's no outward signs I had surgery (bruising etc). Just what I can feel beneath the surface.

Offline Custer

• Posting Member
This sounds like swelling and scar tissue to me. Your chest has had a trauma and this is the result. I'm no Doctor but this sounds pretty normal to me when I compare it to my own surgery. Massage from week 3 is good advice, but be very gentle. I would contact your surgeon if you are really concerned.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024