Author Topic: 6 weeks post-op. Imp. ques. Plz reply  (Read 1828 times)

Offline chris_4114

Did anyone had hematoma after surgery and actually recovered from it?  Does it really go away???  Man, I read so many stories about suffering from hematoma in this discussion board but noone has written anything about recovering from it or having it being slowly absorbed into the body. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZz  replyyy.  PLEASEE

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
I had a haematoma during surgery which continued to bleed during the first 12 hours after surgery resulting in a dark red swelling a little larger than a golf ball.  Drainage and pressure helped a little while I was still in hospital but the soft tissues were saturated with the blood hence the swelling.  The hospital was not overly concerned once the bleeding had stopped and said that the swelling will recede as the body naturally absorbs the blood.  They were right.  The swelling and bruising took about 3 weeks to disappear and I was left with a small piece of scar tissue about the size of an almond which I’m told massaging will break up.

I wasn’t worried at the time because my girlfriend who is a nurse said that some haematomas can be bigger than a cricket ball and they eventually return to normal.

If you are concerned speak to your doctor.  Drainage can help if it is caught early, but my guess is that as long as the bleeding has stopped, then it will disappear in time.

Good luck
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024