Author Topic: Surgery in 3 weeks with Dr. Karidis  (Read 2691 times)

Offline fraustolike

• Posting Member
Hi
I am not so regular on this forum but one thing I would appreciate is this forum helps so much
in every respect.All credit goes to its users especially those who write regularly.My surgery is in 3 weeks time
with Dr. Karidis. As u guys know every one gets nervous & all sorts of questions come in Ur mind.
My few worries are:
1. I am not telling anyone about surgery bc I don't want to.Will it be OK after getting discharge to get taxi
and come home?
2.In first few days how bad the pain is???I know with time it settles.But on an average how many days
before u start driving,going out for normal life activities.
3.I do regular running on treadmill.When can I start it again.
4.How many people had any infection with Dr. Karidis surgery??

Thanks in advance
Frausto

Offline Albion71

• Bronze Member
1. Yep. I was operated on at 9.30am, and got the tube home at 6pm.
2. Only real pain I noticed was after I woke from the anaesthetic - a painkiller sorted it. Still got some stiffness and soreness now (20 days on), but the pain is nothing really. After 3-4 days you are fine to do stuff like light housework, etc.
3. Couple of weeks, I'd have thought.
4. Not me.

Offline kingboob

You should be fine to get home, just take it easy... I wouldn't drive though because your insurance will not cover you for at least 24hrs.

Pain isn't so bad, get some pain killers stocked up before you go in to hospital, that way you wont have to go  shopping or find a pharmacy to buy them on your way home from surgery!

You will have to ask your surgeon about exercise..... as for infection it is not that common but it isn't the end of the world if you do get one..... course of antibiotics and the problem is solved. highly unlikely though.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I wouldn't drive though because your insurance will not cover you for at least 24hrs.

Geeze, that would put a damper on things if the patient did drive himself home and got into an accident, and was charged with impaired operation of a motor vehicle.   :o :o :o

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
Going from my personal experience with Karidis:

1. Yes, I did this. The hospital staff will arrange one for you when you feel ready. Just ask them.

2. There was no pain as such. The hospital gave me painkillers & I think anti-inflammatory tablets to take home with me, which I took for the first few days just to be on the safe side. The only time I experienced pain post op was immediately after waking up from the op (would call it more like stinging sensation than pain) nurse standing right there to attend to my needs. Quick dose of morphine and that was the end of that! (gotta love private health care). Then about one week post op I overstretched when getting a bottle of juice from a high shelf in Tesco's. It passed quickly but hurt like a bugger at the time, so careful not to over exert yourself.

3. I would estimate 4-6 weeks to be on the safe side.

4. Don't know, haven't heard of any on here & I didn't myself.

As I've said before; I found the recovery to be a hell of a lot easier than I was expecting.

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
Hi
I am not so regular on this forum but one thing I would appreciate is this forum helps so much
in every respect.All credit goes to its users especially those who write regularly.My surgery is in 3 weeks time
with Dr. Karidis. As u guys know every one gets nervous & all sorts of questions come in Ur mind.
My few worries are:
1. I am not telling anyone about surgery bc I don't want to.Will it be OK after getting discharge to get taxi
and come home?

Yes! Take it easy though. I suppose the level of pain will be related to the extent of your surgery. I was quite sore but still got a taxi to the station and then the train back to Liverpool!

2.In first few days how bad the pain is???I know with time it settles.But on an average how many days

I didn't drive for a good few days as it was a bit uncomfortable. I did not have the need to do so but could have done if I was required to after about 3 days.

I started on the stationary bike after about 2-3 weeks I think?  ::) Weights came another two weeks or so after that. (Seems so long ago now!!! :D)

Very rare I would say. No problems at all with me.

Thanks in advance
Frausto
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

Offline Redfox

• Posting Member
Hi

I'd the op done on 24 June (a week ago) and will let you know about my experience -

and come home?

I stayed in London the night after the op, about 2 miles from the hospital. I was going to take the tube but the staff were not keen on that so I got a taxi (cost £10) - the girl at reception booked it for me. Looking back now, it was the right thing to do. If I had taken ill the taxi driver could have returned to the hospital, if I was on a tube, well, you might have been reading about me in the newspapers?

As for telling somebody, I really think you should! I deliberated about this also and when I told my Mum and brother they were great about it - I don't know why I worried. It's important somebody knows where you are on the day, plus the hospital ask you to name a contact person anyhow. I'd also just met a girl about 6 months ago and she was very good about it when I told her.

I was quite stiff and uncomfortable but not really sore. Just after the op I got a pain killer which made me forget about everything.. ha ha! The hospital give me pain killers to take away - two batches, moderate level and strong level tablets. I took two moderate level pain killers that night after the op before going to bed and haven't taken any since! You'll move around within your comfort zone and know your limits. I got off the flight next day in Belfast and drove home - been driving since.

It's a week later now and I'm moving about OK. I'm off work which helps. If you work in a office type environment there shouldn't be a problem, if you're on a building site climbing roofs, take more time off!

My biggest problem was trying to get into a comfortable position to sleep! I lay on my back for the best part of the week since the op and don't like it. However, I'm getting onto my side and sleeping better :-)

I do a little bit of physical stuff and to be honest (a week later from the op) I don't think I'd be running too much. The chest area is still sensitive, I can feel it as I move down the stairs at home. I've a dog and am getting in lots of walking. Everyday gets better!

Don't know about this? You'd need to check the web site and hunt around. I'm fine so far. The cuts under each arm are closed over prefectly and I removed the plasters three days after the op. I still have plasters on the cuts under each nipple. I was expecting lots of weeping from all the cuts after the op as I know some surgeons use drains, but I got nothing at all?? Very happy about that!

In all, I'm very glad I went with Dr. Karidis. I did a lot of research into this and seen other surgeons prior. Think I picked the right guy!

Hope this helps!

RF

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024