Author Topic: Driving to and from surgery  (Read 4085 times)

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
One of my biggest hurdles to gyne surgery is having someone drive me to and from the procedure because I want to keep the procedure private. I've discussed it with my girlfriend and she thinks I'm crazy. To her, surgery is a huge deal and not worth it just for some puffy nips. I've also mentioned to my parents that I'm considering surgery, but they're not supportive either.

So how do I get to and from the surgery? Who did you ask and how did you handle it?

Offline blackchevy

• Posting Member
would taking a taxi be an option for you? i too was going to try to go alone but my doc recommended bringing someone since it wouldn't be good to be alone after surgery for the rest of the day if something should happen.

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
I forgot to mention it would be 45 minutes away, so a taxi isn't really an option sadly. I guess I could get a hotel and stay the night, but that's a bit too secretive for me...maybe.  ;D

Offline crossfit99

• Silver Member
Shoot man, i'd talk more to the gf. Being ecstatic for  you would be one thing, but you'd think she'd go along with it enough to at least drive you to/from the procedure.

She knows you ARE getting it done, right? If so, just tell her your only other option is bunking up in a hotel, but that you'd really appreciate it if she'd drive you. Explain that you simply can't drive home (due to sedation, not because the procedure is some insane deal).

Only other option would be a really close buddy that can keep their mouth shut and respect you.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Bummer on your GF. She is going to find out you had it, so you can't hide it can you? In that case why in heck would she not be there with you? Take you anyway.

You belong to a church or other group where maybe you could ask.

Lastly, I am kind of thinking kind of out of the box here for a second.  You probably paying for this out of pocket right? (most of us are).  Spend an extra 300 dollars and have a limo take you there and and back home. At 45 mins away they are usually cheaper then taxis. Just a thought.

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
Ha, great idea with the limo. I don't think I'd actually do it, but it's pretty funny and would certainly work.

This is such a sensitive subject for me that I don't want to ask anyone outside the circle of trust. I do belong to a church, but I don't trust anyone enough to keep their mouth shut about it.

I know my girlfriend will find out, but it would just be easier to take care of it without anyone else's knowledge. I can ask for her forgiveness for not telling her later.

Right now I'm thinking about just getting a hotel nearby and having a taxi bring me there. Then I can get a ride back to my car the next day.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I am sorry there is no one at your church you can trust - thats a real bummer (more than GF)

The limo is kinda funny, but I travel on business alot and I use limos sometimes to get to airports as do other folks.

I give you kudo's for going forward with this without your GF's support.

Offline Gynechameleon

This is such a sensitive subject for me that I don't want to ask anyone outside the circle of trust. I do belong to a church, but I don't trust anyone enough to keep their mouth shut about it.

Same here, except I'm not telling ANYONE, even those in my "circle of trust."

My surgeon set up a medical assistant to drive me home (Also about 45 minute drive) and stay with me the first night after surgery.  Gonna cost about $325 but I figure it pays for itself since I won't have to stay in a hotel.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
This is a common question. I do not allow patients to drive themselves home after surgery nor do I allow them to take a cab home. I commonly arrange to have a bonded car service take the patient home which typically is around $15.00 dollars  more than a cab.I do not want someone helping a patient after surgery into their apartment or house and leaving with a television.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Man, You're in a tough spot.  Luckily, my wife was supportive and drove the 3 hrs each way to take me there.  My doc wouldn't even let us leave after surgery until he had proof we had booked a hotel nearby to stay the night!!  He didn't want me in a car for that long or be that far away right afterwards just in case I had any problems.

I hate to say it, but your girlfriend may be your only option.  Keep working on her! 
Shakenbake baby, SHAKE N BAKE!!  Ya, that just happened.

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! It's heartening to know I'm not the only one who has gone through this.

In a surprising turn of events, my girlfriend said she'd be willing to drive me to and from surgery. I think it had something to do with me saying "I'm booking the surgery and I'm going to stay the night in a nearby hotel." ;D

Offline shaknbake

• Gold Member
Hey!  Great news man!  You're on your way now, hold on, it can be a nerve testing ride as the day gets close.

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
When is the surgery, dude?   If you're nearby, I'll gladly pick you up.

I had the same issue.  I asked one trusted friend, who ended up not coming.  (As soon as I'm healed up, I plan to severly kick the shit out of him.)    So, since they wouldn't release (to walk to the train and take the train home), I actually posted on facebook: "I need a favor from anyone who is off today and has a car - the favor pays $50!".   I had several replies, and chose the person who is the farthest from my friends and family, if that makes any sense.  Luckily, my ride is a 45 year old lady that's always seemed to have a bit of a crush on me, so she was more than willing.   What I told her was that I had to have two sebaceous cysts removed, including the whole sack that gets filled up with fluid to ensure that it wouldn't happen again. (Yes, I had to do a quick wikipedia search as to what sebaceous cysts were)  But if you come up with a story that sounds believable, and like you know what you're talking about, they won't really question you.  When she asked why I didn't have a family member pick me up, I simply told her: "because I didn't want anyone to know that I had to have a procedure that really isn't a big deal and would cause unneccesary worry."   Seemed to buy it, at least!

Hope this helps!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024