Author Topic: Will I be able to go to a wedding 1 week after surgery?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline aboyd101

• Posting Member
I have a bit of a scheduling dilemma. My Gynecomastia surgery will be done during the beginning of November and 7-8 days later I have a wedding to attend. It's important to note that I don't plan on drinking any alcohol or dancing at this wedding...I just want to make sure that I'll be able to walk around and look normal during the 2-3 hours I'm there and obviously not stress my chest or body too much. So is this a going to be a problem? Anyone have any similar scenarios after surgery?
Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sight unseen, this is difficult to answer.  It depends on the extent of your anticipated surgery, the expertise of your surgeon, how well you follow post op instructions, whether there are any complications, etc.

However, in general, for a mild to moderate case, with no drains and no complications, you should be able to attend the wedding -- although you will probably be wearing a compression garment under your shirt.

Enjoy the wedding!!!!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline aboyd101

• Posting Member
Thank you, Dr. Jacobs. The doctor did say I'll be needing drains...I believe for the first 4-5 days he said. I'm completely okay with wearing a garment since I'll be in a suit, but will I have trouble moving around on my own or conversing with other people without making it obvious that I had surgery done? 

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
Short answer: you shouldn't have trouble moving around by then and definitely no issue conversing with others.

I only told my friend that helped me out right after surgery and I was able to not spill the beans to anyone. It will depend on how much work you have done, as Dr. Jacobs stated. In my experience, you'll have a much easier time dressing to conceal the vest after the drains are removed (mine stayed for 6 or 7 days).  Slap a suit on and there shouldn't be any hint, even if you still had the drains on with them hanging in the right place. As far as interacting with others, there shouldn't be a problem and I was pretty much with it after 24 hours. The first couple days suck, but it's easier to move around by the end of the week. I wouldn't recommend dancing that involves a lot of arm moving or quick steps, best to avoid it all together like you plan to.  You just have to be mindful of not stretching or putting pressure on your chest to avoid any grimacing and dress to hide your vest to cover up getting surgery out in public. Good luck
My story and being post-op 12 months now (w/pics)
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31215.0

Offline aboyd101

• Posting Member
Short answer: you shouldn't have trouble moving around by then and definitely no issue conversing with others.

I only told my friend that helped me out right after surgery and I was able to not spill the beans to anyone. It will depend on how much work you have done, as Dr. Jacobs stated. In my experience, you'll have a much easier time dressing to conceal the vest after the drains are removed (mine stayed for 6 or 7 days).  Slap a suit on and there shouldn't be any hint, even if you still had the drains on with them hanging in the right place. As far as interacting with others, there shouldn't be a problem and I was pretty much with it after 24 hours. The first couple days suck, but it's easier to move around by the end of the week. I wouldn't recommend dancing that involves a lot of arm moving or quick steps, best to avoid it all together like you plan to.  You just have to be mindful of not stretching or putting pressure on your chest to avoid any grimacing and dress to hide your vest to cover up getting surgery out in public. Good luck

Thanks, that was helpful. I also read your entire story and that was very motivating. This is something I've been wanting to do for many years now

Offline moving_on

• Posting Member
Hope the surgery, healing and wedding went well.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024