Author Topic: Question for the Docs....  (Read 3959 times)

Offline outkast

• Bronze Member
Would u still preform gynecomastia surgery if the patient was a heavy smoker of marijuana..(few times a week).

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
Of course they would, but they probably wont operate if you are still smoking it. They generally ask the question of whether you smoked marijuana to find out what the cause might have been so they can tell you how to prevent it from re-occuring.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Whether or not marijuana contributes to gyne, the mere fact that you are smoking anything compromises your lung function.  After gyne surgery, surgeons will apply a firm compression garment, which can limit the full expansion of your lungs.  One of the main concerns after surgery is to keep your lungs fully inflated and healthy -- and that requires deep breaths to fully inflate the lungs and an absence of any type of smoking for a week or two.

My routine recommendations are to stop smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery.  You may or not follow these recommendations -- that is your prerogative. After all, what do I know -- I am only a doctor!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline outkast

• Bronze Member
I would definetley stop smoking a month before and after surgery...and start back up very slowly...would like to get good results for the gyne surgery..thanks again doc..

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
They generally ask the question of whether you smoked marijuana to find out what the cause might have been so they can tell you how to prevent it from re-occuring.

My PS never once asked me if I had done/taken anything that may have caused my G.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024