Author Topic: Overweight for surgery  (Read 1655 times)

Offline namsoni

• Bronze Member
Hey guys,

I have my surgery on Thursday and it has somewhat crept up on me. I am not going to ask to many questions as I think I can get the answer to most from others posts. However, I wanted to ask about the implications of being overweight for, and after surgery. I'm about 2.5 stones overweight, so a far bit, and despite committing myself to losing weight when I booked, with some initial success, I haven't ended up loosing anything. I've got a myriad of excuses, but tbh, if I made a concerted and prolonged effort I would have had better success. Anyway, little point in regretting anything now.

Anyway, having seen your pics, unfortunately for me I don't think most of you will be able to help, but I wondered if being overweight for surgery would mean I will have less good results? And whether I will be able to wear the compression vest as normal, or would need to modify it?

Also, I understand the risks of being overweight, and going for surgery in general - but I've been worrying about this enough, so would really appreciate it if no-one brought up this aspect.

Cheers

Offline zm

• Silver Member
Hi bro.  The hardest part I am finding with the surgery is wearing the compression vest.  My armpits get really sore due to the chaffing. I'm not sure if the vest can be modified in any way. Save you spoken to the surgeon about this.

Also, if your weight was an issue with GA then I don't see surgeon going ahead with your surgery.

I know you have a lot of worry and anxiety but this is completely normal as I went through the same thing.

Going back to the compression vest, I wear a large so I'm guessing they come in xxl but do check with your surgeon.  Who is your surgeon by the way?

You might want to check out firm51 on google for other types of compression vests.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
I'm in a similar boat namsoni.

I'm booked in for the 29th March and also 2.5 stones over weight.  I had the same intentions to loose some weight but have made one excuse after another.

That said I'm pretty sure I will still get good results and being 2.5 stones overweight (more of a belly than anything else) will not prevent surgery.  Think about it there are thousands of operations that take place every day in the UK and I think it's only certain types of op's that require weight loss i.e Gastric band etc.

Like you I am also worried about GA but slowly coming to terms with the whole procedure.  They way I see it is we are not in control of the situation so its only natural to feel this way.

I'm still going to try and shed a new pounds before the surgery, no where near the amount I need too but I'm hoping once I have had this surgery I will have a new lease of motivation.

Offline namsoni

• Bronze Member
Cheers guys, my fears are somewhat allayed. Still having the occasional bout of panic, but keeping myself in check, so fingers crossed I get a decent result.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024