Author Topic: There a bigger "Issues" than Gynecomastia  (Read 2064 times)

Offline TigerPaws

Please I am not trying to start a controversy or a flame feast. People need to understand that there a bigger issues than a simple case of Gynecomastia.

For those of you who believe that your life is a "Living Hell" because of your breast development, consider the story below.

After Fighting In Fallujah, I Can Hardly Bring Myself To Touch A Telephone

By Garrett Anderson  Oct. 13, 2012

It was early, a good friend was calling and the phone was ringing.

I hate the phone; anyone who knows me, knows this. It is a strange irrationality of mine, but my level of discomfort turns to panic as each ring passes.

Sometimes I flip a switch inside and pick it up, other times step outside myself, watch it play through to the end — then take a moment to recover.

I hate the phone because I was a platoon radio operator during the battle of Fallujah, when I was nineteen, and every time somebody called me out there it was a serious fucking emergency.

I had to monitor the net (field communication network) for unit reports on friendly movement so that my platoon did not walk into another’s gun fire.

One time I had told a tank that it would be clear to fire on a building, shortly after I watched a dozen Marines from another platoon take cover behind the same building, out of sight of the tank. The tank’s turret shifted and pointed toward the building.

When there are too many people talking on a radio channel, the net gets tied up and I have to wait for a person to stop talking before I can talk to them. I frantically held down the button to my handset repeating over and over, more panicked and more panicked, “Cease fire, cease fire, cease fire!” When I let go of the button I could hear the tank power down with a sound like a vacuum cleaner and my handset answered back, “Roger, cease fire.”

Other times I would need the radio to call for a medical evacuation of friends who had been shot or killed or hit by explosives.

Most days my ear was stuck to my handset for eighteen hours and nothing special but during the times that nothing happened a person could not help but to wonder what the next horrible phone call might be.

When I turn my knob to our battalion channel sometimes the breaking news of the day is a friend from another company has just been killed; or I am sleepy on hour seventeen but keep nodding to the sound of empty radio static that makes a noise like television snow while filled with a cold panic that if I go to sleep, my friends would die because of me.

Sometimes my friend Nate Douglass would call my apartment late at night and I would not pick up. I would want to cry for fear, but did not feel well enough to help someone who needed real help. I would take a moment to recover and carry on with the endless web surfing. He just wanted to talk, so did I, but war is a bitch and we both know it.

One time I picked up the phone for a number I did not recognize and it was Luis Munoz, our old point man.

He had moved back to Mexico after the service and was calling to tell me about the violence he was witnessing, he said it was worse than Fallujah and he had a child to raise. He had been shot through the leg in Fallujah so bad that he was told he would never walk again.

When we reunited Luis was in physical therapy walking with a cane in his early twenties, by the time he was discharged from the Marines as a wounded warrior he was jogging.

Rich Casares had been hit by an enemy hand grenade in Fallujah, which had damaged one of his eyes. The doctors put an air bubble behind it; I had to write him because he was in a Texas Prison, when he wrote me he would ask for a picture of Fallujah that looked really good so he could have it tattooed across his back.

Paul Johnson has a kid and soon will Donald Blais, they live in Connecticut today and during the battle rushed into a burning house to ferry the bodies of their wounded friends, without being ordered to.

One early morning in my dark apartment I picked up the phone for Nate Douglass who had also been hit by an enemy hand grenade.

We had been best friends in Fallujah.

We talked about our struggles coming home and then we talked about the day he'd been hit by the hand grenade. He would reference the morning and I would retort with my perspective of the same thing.

When we got to the operation he would talk about what he saw inside a house while I would tell him what I saw outside of that house. I realized that the story flowed naturally and that if I had the other members of our platoon who were there that day I was sure that they could reconstruct the story with even more depth.

I told Douglass that night that I had an idea for a documentary that would tell a story of real life heroism and struggle that might answer questions for outsiders and those just returning from their story

businessinsider.com/marine-garrett-anderson-communications-phones-2012-10

garrett-anderson.blogspot.com/

hammer

TigerPaws,

I am going to say a few things on behalf of the men that have not seen or lived through the things that some of us have had to live through or have seen! You and I have both had sons that were killed! Parents aren't suppose to bury there children, our children are suppose to bury us!

We have surved in the military! We have seen things that others have not! I had a TOP SECRET security clearance and l know things I wish I didn't! I have also served in law inforcement and have seen things that are not nice! I have TRIPED OVER DEAD KIDS IN THE PAST! Not at all nice to see!

I have had a ton of other health problems, so for me personally the gyne has not been that big of a deal, and as for you it has not either for reason of your own, but gynecomastia is each persons own problem to be dealth with in there own way, and it is not up to me or you to tell them how to handle it!

Yes, for you and I it is not earth shattering, but I am going to help someone else that feels it is hard to deal with it, not condem him! We are here to support each other not condem!

I will agree that having breast is no comparison to war! I am sure that everyone will agree, however, this forum is a support group for gynecomastia, not PTSD after serving in combat.

So, as a fellow vet and a person that also shares a common problem of having male breast enlargement I am asking you to join me in supporting our brothers instead of condeming them for feeling down and out.

Bob

Offline jazzer

• Posting Member
I agree Bob. There are a lot of serious issues in the world, like hunger, poverty and abuse. I don't think it is right to bring the war effort into a totally unrelated supportive forum like this. 

Offline xelnaga13

Much respect to our military and their families. I won't attempt to dispute your feelings related to gyno and other forms of suffering. I will suggest another point of view.

On occasion a friend or family member will reach out to me for council or support. The problems range serious decisions about life to items that I consider completely trivial. Sometimes Im tempted to put their issues into perspective by comparing them to something like starvation in Africa or kids with cancer. But then I remind myself that everyone's suffering is relative, and even if I consider it trivial, to the other person it might be very important.

Imagine if someone posted here dismissing your story of suffering by offering a comparison to Hiroshima. They certainly would not succeed in relieving your suffering by any measure. In return you would likely feel dismissed and unheard.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A former Corpsman, My eyes filled with tears as I read this post. God Bless you all.

Now if only I can regain my composure------ I'll answer the question of someone who thinks that Gyno is the end of his world.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:55:39 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024