Author Topic: my recovery (my journal)  (Read 2596 times)

Offline occupied100

• Posting Member
i just had surgery recently this wednesday on june 6th 2012. The operation itself wasn't painful ( the anesthesia worked wonders, I only remember waking up and being surprised that i was done). However, after the surgery, i experienced a bit of pain and discomfort. I took all my meds and tried to sleep, but i noticed that my right side was extremely swollen compared to my left. Hours later, blood started soaking through my vest, but i knew that was normal so i didn't really freak out. I started freaking out a little on the second day when my right side was still ridiculously bloated and felt like it was holding A LOT of liquid. on my 3rd day post op i went back to my surgeon and told me that i had developed a hematoma on the right side. After some anesthesia, he drained my right side. This is the uncomfortable part. I had to wear double pads under my compression garment, and then wrap around the garment VERY TIGHTLY with a massive bandage. It's really uncomfortable but hopefully it'll make the results that much better :)

Offline occupied100

• Posting Member
My left nipple ( the side without hematoma) seems to have a bit of liquid in it. It's very flat, but i can feel some sloshing. is this considered normal? because when i went to my doctor, he didn't even look at the left side because he was preoccupied with the right.

Offline Pearlsnap

• Posting Member
The sloshhing is normal i think. I had that too.

Offline occupied100

• Posting Member
okay thanks! :) did you have some kind of clear wrapping over your nipples? I only have one over the side that had hematoma and i don't know how long I'm supposed to keep it... :/ overall my recovery is going really well! my chest is all purple and red ( kind of like it got hit by a bat) but it's 1000 times flatter and i can't wait to see the final results :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The sloshing sound is normal -- it is actually a little air bubble that gets under the skin.  It will be absorbed  by your body in the next few days.  Don't worry about it.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline occupied100

• Posting Member
Thank you for answering Dr. Jacobs! Worrying about every small detail of my chest is just killing me... so I think I'm going to try to just rest and trust that my body knows what to do :)

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are very welcome!

You have just embarked on a journey -- of post op healing.  You will find that there may (in fact, almost certainly) be differences between both sides of your chest as the healing progresses.  There may be swelling, firmness, differences in the scars, etc, etc.  This is all part of the healing process, which in most cases will take 6 months or more.

Be patient and do not "micro-scrutinize" your new chest every few hours.  You will undoubtedly find things to worry about -- only to find that they disappear spontaneously the next day or the next week.  In essence, be patient!

Dr Jacobs

Offline occupied100

• Posting Member
Thank you for your time. I just have one last question :/ If my right side started puffing out because of some liquid build up, I shouldn't worry right? I'm assuming that like my left side, the liquid will be absorbed by my body and my right side of the chest will eventually flatten down like my left side. The right side was where i had a hematoma, and all the draining/cauterizing take place, so I'm just extra nervous about it.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Wish I could answer you but since I have never examined / treated you, it would be inappropriate for me to provide you with specific advice.

Your best answer would come from your own surgeon (who knows exactly what happened). 

Dr Jacobs

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Occupied100, I had surgery two days before you did on the 4th.  :)

Anyway, I didn't have clear tape on my nipples but I still have the tape under them, and I had to wear two foam pads, with the sticky side against my nipples, underneath my compression vest. I had to swap those out on day 3 when I could shower and replace them and I can stop wearing the pads today and just use the vest.

I also noticed the fluid sound in the middle of my chest but that went away and my right side was really bruised under my arms and only a little on my left side.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024