Author Topic: sleeping on back?  (Read 12479 times)

Offline monsterclean

• Bronze Member
How many nights are you supposed to sleep on your back?

It's getting mighty uncomfortable!

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
Ah, the joys of the post-op period. About a week after my surgery my body naturally shifted to its more comfortable position of sleeping on its front and I woke up my wife and kids at 3 in the morning with a hearty F*********K!

You'll have to grin and bear it for the first 2 weeks, buddy. That's one part I absolutely hated.

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
My op was 26 Feb and I have been sleping down the bed for about a week. They said sleeping upright would help with swelling, but it is minimal so I gradually creeped down the bed. But I totally agree with Dondante, I woke with a stabbing pain to find myself turning on my front, and uttered some similar F'n remark  :o
Took the plunge and had consultation with Dr. Karidis 7th January 2009.
Surgery 26th February 2009.
Just wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17004.0

Offline titless

• Posting Member
haha u guys are lucky
first two days/nights post op i was fine healing nicely, sleeping on my back etc.
but on the third night i slowly shifted to my stomach, it wasnt that sore.
woke up next morning with a heamatoma :(
having one of them is "F word" worthy
17 years old
gyne victim for 5 years
gyne free 24th feb 2009
!!!!!!tight tank under tee!!!!!

Offline furiousgeorge

• Posting Member
It was almost a month before I could sleep on my stomach again, although I had quite a bit of gland and fat removed so many can do it much earlier. Basically the day I did it I was incredibly tired and just sortof lay down on my stomach and woke up a few hours later feeling great becuase it was the first time i had been able to do it in so long, never slept on my back since. There was some minor discomfort trying to do it when I wasnt ready to pass out, I just had to lay down carefully and make sure that my skin wasnt being sortof "tugged" upwards.

Offline monsterclean

• Bronze Member
had 1 week followup with dr. lista today and he said i could sleep any way i wanted

Offline shen

• Posting Member
Funny post...I had the surgery on Tuesday and it was absolutely HORRIBLE sleeping the first couple of nights - I never imagined how terrible it is to sleep only on your back!

I've actually moved to the couch, I find that sleeping on the couch arm elevates you to an angle and allows you to turn on your sides. It's much more comfortable than a flat bed and I've been sleeping great.

Offline Jezz

• Posting Member
Oh God, that was the part I hated.  I would wake up at 3am with a knot in my back, and sore.  I would use pillows to prop my back, and would almost sleep upright.  It took about 2 weeks before I was able to sleep on my side.  And let me tell you, as soon as I slept on my side, I had the best sleep EVER.  I practically fell asleep smiling, lol.

Offline as400

• Silver Member
Why can't you sleep on your side?...or at least a bit side(ish)...is it because of the pain or just because you think it will somehow increase swelling?....
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoes, after that who cares? your a mile away and have his shoes.

Offline monsterclean

• Bronze Member
good question, i didn't ask dr. lista directly..

i'd imagine it's to avoid asymmetrical swelling (as much as possible)

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member
I didn't even try to sleep on my stomach for a week or so because of healing concerns.  I tried sleeping on my belly again at about the two week mark and after doc telling me I could.  But I found it to be uncomfortable - not so much the "boob" area, but the lower border of where blending lipo was done.  Scar tissue had formed there, and it wasn't comfortable to lie on.  That and soreness from lifting arms to head level. But now (approaching on 3 week mark) I find myself lying more and more on the side.  I'm sure I'll wake up one day on the stomach. 

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
1 week post opp and I am still sleeping on my back. I take the pads off today and I will try sleeping on my stomach tonight because sleeping on my back is driving me absolutely crazy.

Offline monsterclean

• Bronze Member
Hey,
you honestly get used to it.

I'm 4 weeks post-op and 3 weeks since my surgeon said I could sleep any way I wanted.  But, I don't even feel uncomfortable anymore sleeping on my back.

Offline smithers

• Bronze Member
I tried last night and let me tell you trying to sleep on my stomach was the most uncomfortable and painfull experience I have had in a long time. I am sticking to sleeping on my back for a few more days at least.

Offline as400

• Silver Member
Why can't you sleep on your side?...or at least a bit side(ish)...is it because of the pain or just because you think it will somehow increase swelling?....

Anyone?...I don't think I ever really sleep on my stomach but always on my left or right side.

So people don't sleep on their side because of the pain?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024