Author Topic: Finally going for my surgery  (Read 4345 times)

Offline IT_Guy

Hello all I am new to the forum.

After over 20 years of 'dealing' w/ gynecosmastia, I am finally going in for my surgery next week with Dr. Silverman in Boston. I didn't think I would be so nervous but I am since it is only a week away. 
I felt very comfortable with him when I went for my consult.  He said there was no need to do any tests/blood work etc prior to surgery, but I decided to go get a physical on my own.  I am in my mid30s and very healthy.  Never had any kind of surgery before.
Dr. Silverman's procedure methods require General Anesthesia, which is making me quite nervous for the post surgery and recovery.  Should I be? 

Offline superhuman

• Posting Member
The General anthesthesia is honestly the BEST part of the surgery lol!... I just had my surgery a day ago, and I wish I could go back and go through the same process of the IV. Honestly, you wont feel any of the drugs go into you but you will get a bit drowsy (in a good way).. like a tiny buz and next thing you know it you just wake up all finished. Amazing how new/modern technology/drugs work...! See you on the other side.

Offline IT_Guy

Thanks guys, sounds "fun"  :)

My doctor had mentioned something about putting a tube down my throat;  do you know if they do that while I'm still awake?  Is that just for breathing? 
I will be calling my doctor a couple of days before the surgery, so I will address these concerns then, but I wanted to hear from those who have gone through the experience too.

I'm so anxious... I never thought this day would come.  Its hard to explain my emotions... excitement for great results, fear of expectations not being met...
My wife has been so supportive though, since she knows the emotional effects this has had on me.  Yet she is concerned that I may never be content with  my results.  I guess I am too.  Did any of you feel this way?

Offline 303MattS4

• Posting Member
Congrats on deciding to have things taken care of, especially since it's been bothering you for so long! There is really nothing to be worried about with the procedure itself. My surgeon didn't use general anesthetic, but instead uses IV sedation with local anesthetic. The experience is similar I'm sure (it's pretty fun as others have stated), and the only physical difference that you would be aware of (that I know of) is the risk of feeling nauseous upon waking up after general anesthesia.

Regarding the breathing tube, it will be put in when you are asleep which I'm sure makes it tons easier on the doctors than trying to put a tube in when somebody is awake (gag reflex, coughing, vomiting does not sound fun). And regarding the purpose of the breathing tube, Wikipedia has this to say:

"With the loss of consciousness caused by general anaesthesia, there is loss of protective airway reflexes (such as coughing), loss of airway patency and sometimes loss of a regular breathing pattern due to the effect of anaesthetics, opioids, or muscle relaxants. To maintain an open airway and regulate breathing within acceptable parameters, some form of "breathing tube" is inserted in the airway after the patient is unconscious. To enable mechanical ventilation, an endotracheal tube is often used (intubation), although there are alternative devices such as face masks or laryngeal mask airways."

Good luck, you'll do fine!

mortx15

No need to be nervous man. I had my surgery exactly one week ago. Ive been out to bars and whatnot several times since. I still try not to lift really heavy things but im pretty much back to normal besides that.

worst part of surgery...gettin the iv put in....i just dont do well with needles. in other words, its a breeze (and the drugs are nice)

Offline calibrn

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024