Author Topic: Had consultation, help decide surgery, pics included  (Read 3325 times)

Offline hello84

• Posting Member
alright so i was fully convinced on getting surgery seeing as how i have had puffy nipples since i was 12. i am almost 18 now and i went for a consultation (not naming which surgeon) and the total amount to get surgery was hovering around 8000 dollars (including all fees). I am second guessing myself as to if i should get surgery or not because of this large amount of money, i thought the total cost would be below 5k. But this is one of the best surgeons in the world and i cant take a risk with a local surgeon messing things up.

Please help decide whether i should get surgery or not for that amount. This problem has really put a strain on my summer life and outdoor life. I just hate that money has to be an issue.

Also, tell me if you see anything wrong with my chest. Would working out and building more chest muscle help hide the nipples better?

Offline lboogie

• Posting Member
You can see a little puff of the nipples, but it looks like you should try bulking up your chest a bit more before you spend all that money.  I've worked on my chest a lot and I still have what you have there, matter fact it looks like our nipples look exactly alike.  Only difference I see there is you don't have much bulk.  I don't really have the money to get what I want done either, but I gotta shop around more.

Offline hello84

• Posting Member
i guess so, i looked at your photos you look perfectly normal. So i guess i can add some muscle. How did you bulk up? Can you give me your exercising routine?

Offline lboogie

• Posting Member
check out bodybuilding.com there's pretty much any info you need to learn how to work out.  My nipples are usually always puffy but I guess from those pictures it's kinda hard to tell.  Start bench pressing and doings push-ups and pull ups.  That would bulk you up, and make sure you eat right.

DrBermant

alright so i was fully convinced on getting surgery seeing as how i have had puffy nipples since i was 12. i am almost 18 now and i went for a consultation (not naming which surgeon) and the total amount to get surgery was hovering around 8000 dollars (including all fees). I am second guessing myself as to if i should get surgery or not because of this large amount of money, i thought the total cost would be below 5k. But this is one of the best surgeons in the world and i cant take a risk with a local surgeon messing things up.

Please help decide whether i should get surgery or not for that amount. This problem has really put a strain on my summer life and outdoor life. I just hate that money has to be an issue.

Also, tell me if you see anything wrong with my chest. Would working out and building more chest muscle help hide the nipples better?

Subtle Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia comes in many different degrees and the surgery is an art form. That is why checking for specific before and after surgery pictures of that type of gynecomastia by a possible doctor is so critical to understand what that surgeon offers.

For my C, D cup and larger patients, they look at such small contour issues as trivial. For my many Competition Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia and low body fat, even a smaller contour problem is an issue. That makes this contour changing choice something personal, something that each individual needs to consider what bothers them.

The Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated, skill of the surgeon, and many other factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Just from the one photo, it appears that you are slender and have puffy nipples.  What cannot be determined by one photo alone is whether there is additional tissue extending out from the areolar area.

In either case, however, you certainly do not need to lose more weight.  And bulking up, a lengthy process in itself, will not help a puffy nipple -- it will merely push it out further atop your now larger chest muscle.

Therefore, if you do wish to treat this, then more than likely surgery will be your best option. 

Recommend you visit several doctors before making a final decision.  Then choose the one with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  The cost, while important, should be the least of your considerations.  Once your surgery is done properly, you will have the rest of your life to enjoy the results.  And down the road, you will have forgotten the cost.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I'll agree with the good Doctor, in that you might be wise get another opinion or more.

Whether your condition warrants surgery or not is a decision only you can make. What is on your chest is much less important ultimately that what it is doing to your self image.

Each different responder here will have a different viewpoint. One person may see great need for improvement while another may hope he looks as good as you do now after he has his surgery. You'll get a lot of opinions, but hardly any would be totally objective.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
After reviewing your pictures, it is clear that your gynecomastia is primarily puffy nipple.  This link will show you the link between the different types of gynecomastia.  Puffy nipple is primarily glandular tissue.  Glandular tissue cannot be removed via liposuction alone or through diet and/or exercise.  Building the pec major muscle will only make the muscle larger and cause the glandular tissue to appear more prominent.  Surgery, in your case, is your best option.  

Cost for surgery is relative based on many factors including the length and difficulty of the procedure as well as skill level of the surgeon.  The advantage of puffy nipple in my practice is that it can be done comfortably under local anesthesia with little sedation, which can reduce the cost. This is because your gynecomastia may require very little or no liposuction.  It would be wise to seek several consultations to become comfortable with the cost involved before making your final decision.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Alright so i was fully convinced on getting surgery seeing as how i have had puffy nipples since i was 12. i am almost 18 now and i went for a consultation (not naming which surgeon) and the total amount to get surgery was hovering around 8000 dollars (including all fees). I am second guessing myself as to if i should get surgery or not because of this large amount of money, i thought the total cost would be below 5k.

For my C, D cup and larger patients, they look at such small contour issues as trivial. For my many Competition Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia and low body fat, even a smaller contour problem is an issue. That makes this contour changing choice something personal, something that each individual needs to consider what bothers them.

Doc B is 100% correct. If it bothers YOU, then Git'er Done!!!

Recommend you visit several doctors before making a final decision.  Then choose the one with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  The cost, while important, should be the least of your considerations.  Once your surgery is done properly, you will have the rest of your life to enjoy the results.  And down the road, you will have forgotten the cost.

Doc J is also correct... it seems like a lot of coin right now, but as the years pass (G-Free!!!), the cost will seem trivial...  ;)   Considering how the quality of your life was changed.... (for the better!!!)

Personally, I feel that it's a small price to pay for 'Piece-of-Mind'...  ;)

If I had to pay $20,000 to be G-Free, I would have paid it... Having been G-Free for over 5 years now, I feel that even at $20,000 ( don't get any ideas here Docs ;) ), it would have been well worth the cost.

I understand that for some of our younger members it's very difficult, to find the money to pay for surgery... However, save your pennies... eventually you will have enough to rid yourself of the 'Curse'... You'll be glad you did!

Shop around a bit for lower price... Keep in mind that you need to thoroughly check the prospective surgeon's credentials and expertise...

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024