Author Topic: 44 y/o taking the plunge  (Read 9305 times)

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
First, let me say "THANK YOU!" to all the brave guys on this board.  I have been lurking for a while...your stories have helped me work up the courage to do this!

-44 y/o
-5'9"
-185lbs

My surgery is scheduled for Fri 5/20/11 with Dr. Bruce Van Natta in Indianapolis.  I will try to post some pre- and post- pics soon.

My consult with Dr. Van Natta was easy.  He and his staff were very professional.  Coincidentally, he has undergone the surgery himself as a younger man and showed me his scars.  That gave me a huge amount of comfort...I mean this guy knows what we are going through.

I'll try to update this thread as my experience unfolds.  I'm not too nervous yet, I think that's going to change soon.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Congrats and good luck JTT!  40 y/o when I did mine earlier this year...only regret is I didn't do it sooner!

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
Thank you for the good luck wishes.  I'll need it!

I started my vitamins today...surgery in 4 days.  

Family issues:  
My wife has been very cool about the whole thing.  I've been with her 25 years and she's a rock.  I never talked to ANYONE (literally) about my gyne until last fall when I told her I was considering the surgery for myself.  She never flinched and said "I don't really notice it (nice lady), but if you want to do it, then you should."  After that it took me six months to work up the courage to see a surgeon (yes, I'm a wimp).

Last night, I told my 14 y/o son that I'm having surgery this week.  I really wanted to have a serious talk with him because I've noticed he's starting to develop gyne just like I did at his age.  Man, it breaks my heart.  We had a great talk about it and he told me his buddies have been teasing him.  He volunteered to show me his gyne.  It's just starting, so it doesnt look too bad and I told him so.  I also told him that gyne is just a physical condition that some people have to live with...like severe acne or something...nobody likes it but it's a fact of life that we have to deal with.  He was very calm and open to talking about it, but I can tell it bothers him. 

I'm so glad I can be there for him and I wish my surgery would take away his gyne, too.  Seriously, I would be happy to live with my gyne for the rest of my life if it would spare him the torment.  A young man's life is hard enough without having to deal with gyne, too.  The really unfortunate thing is that he's a very talented competitive swimmer and he has to be shirtless around his friends every day at swim practice.  I'm really afraid it is going to get a lot worse like mine did.

I talked to the surgeon about it and he said we have to wait until he's done with puberty.  I told my son he could talk to me any time and I know how difficult it is.  I also promised him he would not have to live with it his whole life like I did.  I explained that there are two options, 1) it will go away on its own, or 2) I will pay for the surgery for him just as soon as his pediatrician says its ok.

Hopefully, his road will be easier than mine was.  At least he has someone to talk to and someone to help him out.  Living with my gyne is not as painful as watching my son go through the same thing.  Shit.

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
Links are no longer allowed so you can't just put the link in your post for people to click on it.
The way to do it is to paste your link in the body of your message, select it and hit the "Insert Image" button from the toolbar (second button on the second line).
It will put IMG tags around your link and will make it work.
Hope this helps.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Thank you for the good luck wishes.  I'll need it!

I started my vitamins today...surgery in 4 days.  

Family issues:  
My wife has been very cool about the whole thing.  I've been with her 25 years and she's a rock.  I never talked to ANYONE (literally) about my gyne until last fall when I told her I was considering the surgery for myself.  She never flinched and said "I don't really notice it (nice lady), but if you want to do it, then you should."  After that it took me six months to work up the courage to see a surgeon (yes, I'm a wimp).

Last night, I told my 14 y/o son that I'm having surgery this week.  I really wanted to have a serious talk with him because I've noticed he's starting to develop gyne just like I did at his age.  Man, it breaks my heart.  We had a great talk about it and he told me his buddies have been teasing him.  He volunteered to show me his gyne.  It's just starting, so it doesnt look too bad and I told him so.  I also told him that gyne is just a physical condition that some people have to live with...like severe acne or something...nobody likes it but it's a fact of life that we have to deal with.  He was very calm and open to talking about it, but I can tell it bothers him. 

I'm so glad I can be there for him and I wish my surgery would take away his gyne, too.  Seriously, I would be happy to live with my gyne for the rest of my life if it would spare him the torment.  A young man's life is hard enough without having to deal with gyne, too.  The really unfortunate thing is that he's a very talented competitive swimmer and he has to be shirtless around his friends every day at swim practice.  I'm really afraid it is going to get a lot worse like mine did.

I talked to the surgeon about it and he said we have to wait until he's done with puberty.  I told my son he could talk to me any time and I know how difficult it is.  I also promised him he would not have to live with it his whole life like I did.  I explained that there are two options, 1) it will go away on its own, or 2) I will pay for the surgery for him just as soon as his pediatrician says its ok.

Hopefully, his road will be easier than mine was.  At least he has someone to talk to and someone to help him out.  Living with my gyne is not as painful as watching my son go through the same thing.  Shit.

Much of your story sounds very similar to mine...although my son is younger and no signs of it.  But I didn't develop mine until in my late 20's.  Didn't tell anyone...only my wife knew, and will be watching to have that same talk with my son even if many years from now.

What you may not realize though is you're showing your son that there are options.  And hope.  You'll be a role model, an inspiration and dream he can see come to reality for himself one day if he needs it.  How many other kids with gyne would get to see all of that?  Very few I'd guess and the rest will likely lead a tormented depressed teen life not knowing there are options and a cure.  You've done your son an incredible service.  I'd be proud of your decision.  The surgery is not only for you, it's for both of you.  Great job!

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
Pre-op pics...

WARNING:  Chubby middle-aged white guy...do not view before dinner

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
More pre-op pics...

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
More pre-op pics...

Offline jtt

• Posting Member

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
huh...that doesnt look bad. atleast u dont have the puffy nips. just need a little cardio?

Thanks.  Actually, it was cold in the room when I took the pics...my nips can puff with the best of 'em.  You're right, I need more cadio...and push myself away from the dinner table. ;)

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
Much of your story sounds very similar to mine...although my son is younger and no signs of it.  But I didn't develop mine until in my late 20's.  Didn't tell anyone...only my wife knew, and will be watching to have that same talk with my son even if many years from now.

What you may not realize though is you're showing your son that there are options.  And hope.  You'll be a role model, an inspiration and dream he can see come to reality for himself one day if he needs it.  How many other kids with gyne would get to see all of that?  Very few I'd guess and the rest will likely lead a tormented depressed teen life not knowing there are options and a cure.  You've done your son an incredible service.  I'd be proud of your decision.  The surgery is not only for you, it's for both of you.  Great job!

Thanks for the support.  That's a huge help, bro.

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
Surgery tomorrow at 1:30pm...getting nervous.  I've developed a bit of a cold but he Dr. and his assistant say I'm good to go since I dont have a fever nor am I coughing up any mucus...we'll see how I do.

Offline waves

• Silver Member

Offline calibrn

• Posting Member
ya good luck. curious how results are. im in the same boat.

Offline jtt

• Posting Member
24 Hours Post Op:

Pre-surgery:
Surgery was scheduled for 2:30 but the surgeon was running about 90 minutes behind.  They called me and told me I could come in later, which I did.  I got to their office at about 2:45 and they had me finish up a few minor paperwork items and I changed into a gown.  They also had me try on the compression vest before surgery to make sure the size was ok.

Then, I sat in a nice recliner and they started an saline IV with antibiotic.  The anesthesiologist, Dr. Lane, came and asked some questions and explained what he was going to be doing.  He was very attentive and helpful. It was about 3:30 at that time, and I had a RAGING headache from dehydration, I guess.  They measured blood pressure and blood sugar, and  asked me if I wanted a sedative that would help with my headache.  I declined the sedative so I could be clear headed when the surgeon talked to me pre-op.

The surgeon, Dr. Bruce Van Natta came to see me at about 4:00.  He drew lines on my chest and explained the process of surgery and recovery.  He answered my questions very thoroughly.  Coincidentally, Dr. Van Natta and some of his family members are also gyne sufferers. He had the surgery done on himself, so he was able to make me very comfortable with the process.

At that time they started my anesthesia and walked me back to the operating room.  I remember laying down on the operating table, and telling the anesthesiologist about my trip to Las Vegas last week...I was lights out within a minute or two.

Post-Surgery:
My wife said that the operation was about 90 minutes and then it took me another 60 minutes to wake up.  The next thing I remember is waking up very groggy.  The surgeon was there and he showed me the orange milk shake that he had removed from my chest.  I dont remember how much he said it was.  I think the nurse told me it was almost a pound from each side.  I barely remember talking to the surgeon.  But he said the surgery went very well and he gave me his cell number and said to call him if I had any questions or concerns and that he would see me on Thursday for my follow-up visit. 

I was very groggy and could barely stay awake.  The nurse gave me all the water I wanted and brought me a yogurt which tasted very good since I hadn't had any thing to eat or drink for about 18 hours.  I was very aware of the compression garment.  It was uncomfortable around my armpits but not really painful. They unhooked the IV and my wife drove me home...its only about 15 minutes away but I could barely stay awake.  Really groggy.  I really just wanted to get up and move around a little.

On the way home, I was aware that my right side was bleeding quite a bit.  By the time I got home, it had bled through my vest and shirt.  My wife is a physical therapist so she was able to help me get cleaned up.  My wife helped me get the vest adjusted in the armpit areas.  That helped my comfort level quite a bit.  After that, it seemed to stop bleeding...it was graphic, but I dont think it was a big deal.

At home:
Once I got home..around 8pm, I tried to get something in my stomach...I drank a Muscle Milk which I threw up almost immediately. I think that was from my body getting used to the narcotic pain killer.    By 10pm I was surprised how good I felt.  I ate a hot dog (sounded good) and some apple slices.  I went outside and walked up and down the sidewalk for a little fresh air.

I like to sleep on my stomach, so I didnt get a great night's sleep.  I went to bed at bout midnight and my wife woke me up woke at 3 to take meds.  I stayed up for about an hour and moved around a little.  Just walking around the house and had a bowl of cereal...still hungry.  Then I went back to bed and slept fine until she woke me up at 7am for more meds.  I had a good breakfast coffee, fruit, english muffin and a scrambled egg.  I checked my email and read the paper.  Then, crashed out again at about 9:30am and she let me sleep until about 1pm today.

State of body:
Now, I'm about 24 hours post-op.  I feel really good, considering.  I haven't yet taken the vest off, but I can tell there's a considerable amount of gland and fat gone.  My wife is going to help me check the dressings and get cleaned up in a bit.  I have occasional sour stomach from the meds, but I've been able to keep food down with no problem.  I have not been nauseous to speak of.

I have a lot of bruising already in my upper pec area, armpit, shoulders.  I was not expecting that...He did some lipo in those areas to help sculpt the shape he wanted.  I'll post some 24-hour post-op pics soon.

State of mind:
I have a lot of recovery to do, and I'm realistically expecting my results won't be perfect.  BUT...I'm feeling very proud of my decision to improve my life in this way.  Physically, it hurts a bit.  Mentally, it feels AWESOME.

Gynecomastia has been my enemy since I was 14 years old and in some ways it has been kicking my ass every day for thirty years. I didn't even know its name until last year.  Now, I feel like I'm finally winning the battle.  I can't even begin to explain how good that feels.

The only way it could get any better is if my story helps someone else.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:44:08 PM by jtt »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024