Author Topic: Op August 2nd...really scared...help guys:(  (Read 2794 times)

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Ok guys I have a few questions because this operation is really close now.

I was informed to stop smoking. And I havent. What happends now? I stopped smoking weed quite a while ago so thats not an issue. I never drink. Just smoke.

Im an amatuer kickboxer and I train 3 times a week. HARD. Im curious, how long will it take for me to start training again?

Umm aside from just post op healing. Im really nervous about the actual procedure itself. Is there alot of pain during the time you are being put to sleep?

Lastly... Im a shower freak and I think I mentioned that already in another post. I dont plan on wearing the bandages as long as Fielding has informed me too. I have 4 compression vests. I have 2 that are large which seem to be a little too small on me but they compress my chest very well so would I be able to wear those? What I plan on doing is leaving the bandages on the first night. Then taking them off the next day to shower. Then putting on my tighter compression vest and just wearing that for a few weeks. Obviously I will be alternating the 2 every day for when I shower.

Does that seem ok?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 06:13:10 AM by usernameX »
Had surgery with Dr. J.C. Fielding on August 2nd.

Offline oldgynodude

• Posting Member
It's normal to be nervous. I was fine until the morning of the surgery, then I got nervous.

They gave me a valium pill and it helped relax me a lot. Then they put the IV in me and I was out in a few minutes. Next thing you know they are telling me to take deep breaths and I was done. It will be over quicker than you think.

I agree with BillyBoy's advice. Don't do anything for at least 10 days. A week minimum of doing NOTHING, I mean just chilling around the house, no cleaning, just eating and sleeping and giving us updates on this message board. You should give yourself that minimum of time for the skin to properly adhere to the chest and prevent any swelling or injuries from straining (like trying to reach above your head level).

I was told by my doctor not to work out until a month after, and even at that my chest area was still a little tight and residual pain in my nipple area (regaining sensation). I resumed working out by riding the stationary bike and doing some stretching for my chest area. Like Billy says, your body remembers pretty good and you should be up to speed in no time when you go back to working out. It does suck waiting around and feeling like you're getting out of shape, but trust me it's worth it in the end to heal properly and take it slow.

Just follow your doctor's advice regarding the compression vests. The first week make sure you wear the vest tight (along with wrap/bandages) for proper adhesion. In the follow up he'll tell you how much longer to wear it.

Offline monnom

• Bronze Member
your the best judge of whether you'll be able to train or not, i am nearly 2 weeks post op, and think ill wait maybe another week or 2 before i get back into muay thai.  right now, its pretty much just a matter of the incision healing.

what kind of kick boxing do u take, what gym do u go to?

edit: u'll have to wear bandages for the where the incisions were made until they heal, and i was told not shower or atleast not wet the nipple area for 3 days
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 05:36:55 PM by monnom »
source of revelation, inspiration, nutrition, relaxation, entertainment, and healing

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Monnom I train in mauy thai aswell. Why I didnt say I dont know. Kick boxing tends be more recognizable. I live in Thornhill but train in Toronto. I trained briefly at House of Siam and now I train at Lees Kick boxing. Where do you train? How old are you? MAybe we could spar a bit one day:)

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Hopefully I will be heading to Thailand next summer to train for 2 months.

Offline monnom

• Bronze Member
i trained at siam #1 too, i was there for a bit in january, and was there fairly steady between may and june, maybe we worked together, i dont have my blue shorts yet...
i am going to start training with kru darwin at krudar for a month while i am living downtown, than head back to siam cause i will be moving in september

i am 19, not that experienced, just doing it for fun, but would like to get in competitions in the future; i want to get back into it asap cause my friends and i are having a straight boxing tournament for $$ at the end of the month

good luck with ur operation, i was wide awake for my surgery, try to be as least active as possible after ur surgery, after the first week its really just a matter of those incisions healing

sawadeetka bro
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:00:02 AM by monnom »

Offline Tim_Hortons_Coffee

• Bronze Member
  • Chilli Deal
I believe Hypo did a good job answering your questions there. Don't rush into kickboxing right after surgery, that will only leave you with more complications.

I am having surgery on August 2nd (edit) myself, I definitely wish you luck on the surgery. And I wouldn't worry about the pain aspect. I had very minimal pain after my surgery, though there was definitely a fair deal of discomfort while sleeping or moving my arms.

G'luck mate.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:02:49 AM by Tim_Hortons_Coffee »
May ye' spend half an hour in Heaven before the devil knows you're dead.

Offline Tim_Hortons_Coffee

• Bronze Member
  • Chilli Deal
lol, egh I'm so glad I still knew when my flight was, and that I had a day in Toronto. I'm running on no sleep in two days now so all I can rely on is gut feelings, not frilly little details like dates or days of the week.

I wonder if extreme sleep deprivation effects surgery recovery....I'm sure it does nothing but help. Hoorah!

**edit: It seems Bambu has removed that post, making this post entirely worthless...yes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:34:59 AM by Tim_Hortons_Coffee »

Offline usernameX

• Gold Member
Tim Hourtons, thank you for your reassurance. Pain after the operation im not too concerned about.

Monnom... If you are downtown, I definitly think you should train at Lees Kickboxing. Or atleast give it a trial period. He also offers BJJ and he has classes everyday now. His facility is massive and he also has a ring. I would love for you to come one time. Im 17. I dont have much experience either. Its not a big deal. About 4 months now. I dont do it competitively. Infact ive never even fought in the ring yet. I do it for excerises and just to boost my confidence about the whole fighting scene.

Check out his site dude...his name is Warren Lee. Hes a really nice guy...

www.leeskickboxing.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
**edit: It seems Bambu has removed that post, making this post entirely worthless...yes.

Sorry dude....  I removed the post before I saw your response to it.   :-[

Me bad....  :-/

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline monnom

• Bronze Member
usernameX, ill pm you my email address, we'll stay in touch

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024