Author Topic: Seriously Considering Surgery  (Read 3214 times)

Offline NH

• Posting Member
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted. Over the past year I've lost a lot of weight (I was about 206lbs last June; I'm 171lbs now, 6' to 6'1"). However, my gyne hasn't gotten much better. Less fat makes the nipples stick out less, but they still stick out. I have poofy nipples as well as gyne. I'm seriously considering getting the gyne done at the beginning of this summer. However, I have a problem.

I'm 16 years old, so I do things 16 year olds typically would do. That tends to include a lot of roughhousing and stuff like that. I moved from my hometown this year, and I wanted to get the surgery right before I went back to my hometown. I'm only spending 6 weeks back in my hometown, and those 6 weeks will be the entire time I spend in the US before I move back to where I currently live (where I would prefer not to do my surgery). I'm concerned that by doing my surgery early, I'll spend half of my vacation healing and won't be able to do anything fun like play nightgames or go to amusement parks. I really don't want to screw up the 6 weeks I have in my hometown, but I keep seeing varied answers to my question. Some people say they're active a few days after, others say the next few weeks they stay at home...for a 16 year old male, what would be the answer? I don't think I'm gonna be able to go another year with gyne, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my summer vacation for it either. When would be a good time to do the surgery, considering a high schooler's schedule?

Thanks for any and all help.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
All surgery is serious.  If you decide to have gyne surgery, then there will definitely be a recuperation period during which time you may be somewhat limited.  If you ignore the surgeon's instructions, you may have a complication which will make the convalescence longer and possibly jeopardize the results of the surgery.

Welcome to the real world where you can't have it all.  If you are serious about having surgery, then you will have to make some accommodations in your daily life. 

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
First off.. I think 16 may be a little young to get the surgery. If I were you, I'd wait till 18 and see how things looked at that point. If and when you DO decide to have the procedure done, you have to make sure you have time set aside to recover and follow your PS' instructions. Personally, I gave myself a FULL month of avoiding any strenuous physical activity. I didn't cheat and take the binder off to go out and party, I kept it on under my t-shirts and I wore it every single day 24/7 (except for showering) for a full 4 weeks. I still wear it to bed some nights and around the house. You can't just get the surgery and then 1 week later act like nothing ever happened. You need to give yourself time to heal.

Offline NH

• Posting Member

Welcome to the real world where you can't have it all.  If you are serious about having surgery, then you will have to make some accommodations in your daily life. 

Dr Jacobs

I'm not sure exactly where I stated that I felt otherwise, but I'd appreciate not being spoken to in a condescending manner.

Also, could someone please answer my question, which is how long the recovery period would be?

Offline thetodd

I think what the Dr is saying is

its going to hurt, your going to need to recover and its going to cost you a lot of money

and you saying "but i want to play with my friends down the arcades!" Well its very childish really and in my eyes and shows that maybe your not mature enough to have the surgery. Take his advice on board you are going to make serious cutbacks to your life temporarily to have the surgery!

like everyone has had to do! Recovery time is not set in stone it could be a week it could be months it all depends on how your body heals. I would set aside 3 weeks of total relaxation but it depends on the severity of the case

Bare in mind this is going to cost you, make sure you have a suitable source of funds

EDIT: Make sure you get a good surgeon
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

thats me and thats a good result of surgery, very little swelling and virtually no bruising and a natural looking flat chest. Youve got plenty of time to save up and get someone decent

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:52:29 AM by thetodd »
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline NH

• Posting Member
I don't believe I stated in my original post that I expected everything to work out perfectly; I simply asked what to expect. Instead, each response I've gotten has called me immature or childish because I'm a child rather than answering my question. I think I have the right to be a smart ass if I'm being judged. I never said I wasn't thankful for anything; I'm extremely thankful for my parents backing me and for having the financial means to afford the surgery. However, if everyone wants to call me a child for wanting to play night games as a child, and if wanting to enjoy my summer makes me immature, then I guess I will have a hard time in the "reak world".

I apologize for being a wise ass but I do believe I was spoken to in a condescending manner and I believe I was inappropriately judged for having an unrealistic view of the surgery. Next time I'll ask a question elsewhere so that rather than being chewed out for my lack of knowledge someone will have the patience to answer me. 

Offline NH

• Posting Member
By stating that I am a child, I mean by definition. I'm sorry that I enjoy childish or immature things, but at this age its in my nature.

Offline NH

• Posting Member
Your argument would be more mature without that comment about my parents at the end, but whatever makes you happy.

Offline thetodd

come on now this isnt a slanging match, theres no need to say that to him GiantFan he doesnt seem rude to me!

Wait till your 18-20 before you have surgery. You never know your gyne MAY correct itself and it will give you time to save your money if it doesnt. Ive been your age with gyne and i waited and well it didnt correct itself and i ended up getting the surgery 4 years later

If you want the surgery, find a decent surgeon and ask him any questions about recovery in your consultation

Good luck mate, itl get sorted eventually

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024