Author Topic: What to do about work? Surgery on 22nd and havn't told them..!  (Read 2931 times)

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Hi,

I'm due to have surgery on the NHS on the 22nd (Glandular Excision + Lypo) and I still havn't told my work.. I work part time 15 hours a week but am due to work 30ish hours per week over christmas and I won't be able to because of operation, I believe I should take 2 weeks off really (nurse advised I didn't go to school for 1-2 weeks post surgery). I still havn't told my work and I don't think they'll be too happy when I do, do the have to legally let me have the time off? Have I left it too late? I don't plan to tell them what I'm having done, at most I'll tell my boss it's a lump being removed. What do I do about a doctors note, do I need to get this from the hospital or can any doctor at my surgery write me out a note?

Also, does anyone know as I'm a permanant part-time employee contracted to 10 hours a week, will I recieve any pay during this time if I take it off as sick? Otherwise i'll see if they'll allow me to use it out of my  holiday time. Any advice on this situation? No way I want to not have it done, but don't want to risk losing my job either!

Thanks

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
a lot of it depends on the employer, they often spell it out, do you have a written contract or agreement?  i don't know uk laws or even if it varies any by shire, but it shouldn't be too hard to find more info online.  even if it's not contract basis, put yourself in the employer's shoes, they'd want as much lead time as possible, maybe they can get a temp, but springing it on them at the last minute is worse for job security, not better.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:11:08 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude... you've got two weeks before your surgery date. Go get a note from your GP (family doctor) ASAP, explaining that you are having surgery and that you need 2-3 weeks off work to recover. The note not need to go into detail. Your employer 'probably' does not legally have the right to know the 'specifics' of what you are having done. Check your local labour laws on this. In addition, 'many' employers are empathetic to those employees that are sick and who need time off to recover. Disciplinary action is not usually considered, provided you let your employer aware of your situation.

I still havn't told my work and I don't think they'll be too happy when I do, do the have to legally let me have the time off?

As HHH01 mentioned, do you have a 'written contract or agreement'? If you don't, and if you are an 'hourly paid' employee, then 'probably', your employer 'could' let you go for poor attendance. You should do some research on your local labour laws to find out where you stand on this issue... However, as mentioned above, many employers are very understanding of the situation and do not consider disciplinary action.

I'm a permanant part-time employee contracted to 10 hours a week, will I recieve any pay during this time if I take it off as sick?

Again, it all depends if you have a 'written' contract/agreement with your employer...  If you do, and the contract has any wording for getting paid while off sick, then your employer is legally responsible to uphold their end of the contract/agreement. In North America, permanent part-time employees usually do not qualify for sick pay.

How long have you had your current job and how often do you take time off?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
I don't know if I have a contract or not I have a feeling I do but I don't have a copy or anything.. I will tell my boss tomorrow night when I'm working if he's in then.

Thanks

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Let us know how it goes with your boss...

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024