Author Topic: What to excpect? Operation on Dec 17th.  (Read 4718 times)

Offline boobbegone!

• Posting Member
Hey everyone

Long time reader, first time writer. My op is Dec 17th in Nova Scotia with Dr Wasilewski. The op is 2 hours long. What should I expect in  sensation, feeling, recovery time and pain terms? Any prep I should do? I have a week from ...yesterday! (wow im excited but a tad nervous), Im gonna be put under using general anesthesia, is this normal? Any tips and hints? Also its a same day release, is this normal (my provincial health care is covering this one)?

Offline Fatboyslim

• Bronze Member
    • Running For My Existence
Congratulations on going through the process and setting up the surgery. Took me about 30 years but I finally did it 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

Being nervous is obviously normal. I picked up the phone the day before surgery to call and cancel, but fortunately I chickened out on chickening out and hung up the phone. ;D

Everyone is very different but here is my response to your questions:

Prep? I didn't do anything special except get my pain killer prescription filled and not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before. Oh yeah, I also took the final "before" pictures just in case the surgery worked, which I am happy to say, it did!

General Anesthesia? Had that. No big deal at all. They put an iv in you, slip the drugs in when you're not looking and the next thing you know you're waking up in recovery repeating to yourself "I can't believe it's finally over"

Same day release? I walked in the hospital at ~11 AM and my wife was driving me home at ~5 PM (~2 hours surgery and ~2 hours recovery).

Pain? That is going to be different for every person so there won't be one definitive answer. In my case, I was in some discomfort for about 3 days but never enough to take any pain killers or even Tylenol, Advil, etc. Tough sleeping the first few nights but that was the extent of it.

Recovery? I assume you are referring to physical activity? After 2 days I started walking and within ~10 days I was running and doing other aerobic exercises like Spin. I'm now at day 22 and I am back to light weights (arms and abs only) and ran 12 miles this morning with absolutely no pain. Personally I wear pretty tight compression t-shirts but I was doing that before surgery as well. That said, check with your doctor as everyone is different.

Sensation? I am starting to get some sensation back in my chest but it still feels a little strange like being kind of numb. Everyday I seem to feel more and more sensation, especially when showering.

Again, the bottom line is speak to your doctor and get his opinion on your specific questions because he is the one that does your surgery and knows you and your specific situation. Hope that helped and good luck!             

Offline boobbegone!

• Posting Member
Thanks for that info! It's great to hear you were able to be up and about in such a short time (people keep telling me it's 6-8 weeks), but i have a sever case of gyna.

And thanks for the "dont eat after midnight tip" No one has mentioned that to me actually (even though it's common sense but still).

As for the pictures..I CANNOT WAIT to take those "before" pictures!!!! And i CANNOT WAIT to post the pre and post pics up!

Thanks for your reply!

Offline boobbegone!

• Posting Member
I just read your story fatboyslim. I think your transformation and SUPER!! VERY VERY motivational and inspirational!
Great job!

Offline 303MattS4

• Posting Member
Here are the instructions I was given from my surgeon (verbatim):

Pre op:

1. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the day before surgery (NO water, juice, coffee, soup, gum, candy, ect)
2. Do not use: cologne, lotion, aftershave, ect on the day of surgery
3. Do not wear contact lenses (if applicable)
4. Wear a loose fitting shirt, preferably with front buttons or zippers (much easier to get dressed in after surgery)

Aside from that, leading up to surgery I made sure to take my multi-vitamins and extra Vitamin C (usually 2 Emergen-C packets per day, which I'm still taking).

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
matt and fatboy have covered pretty much everything..
something I would like to add..

post surgery: dont try to get up and walk on ur own.. u will be weak. call for a nurse if u want to go to the bathroom
as fatboyslim said..u wont even know when u pass out and u will wake up gyne free..so theres nothing to worry about in that aspect..

pain wise: u will b on so many painkillers via IV..that u wont feel any pain at all around chest/nipple area..
funny enof..u might get a back ache cuz of bad sleep and discomfort..
but otherwise.. mate..its a piece of cake..just the thought of it is kinda scary but Science Nowdays has advanced way too much to supress the pain factor after surgery..

listen to some music while u waiting..:)..might help..

also try to eat less after that.. u will wearing a vest when u wake up..and will   b very compressed..so eating less will help.:)
will rite again if something else comes to mind:).
cheers
====================================================================
My Before and After :
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21866.msg148419#msg148419
====================================================================

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
one more thing..u will have a very very dry throat after surgery.. take some vitamin chewies wit you..or something to get/keep ur throat watery.. i wasnt aware of this..so i kept on drinking water...
do drink water as well...take water bottle with u..or..most prolly u will be given water by hosp neway.
ta

Offline Fatboyslim

• Bronze Member
    • Running For My Existence
LOL, I forgot how dry your throat is after surgery! They gave me some saltines and they just stuck in my throat. Tried to chase them with some Ginger Ale but that never really did the trick. ;D Just keep remembering that the discomfort is very temporary (~3 days for me) compared to a lifetime of real pain over them and it should help you.

BTW, I thought of another tip that you just want to confirm with your doctor: The compression vest may start to be uncomfortable and start to rub the skin under your arms so I started wearing a compression t-shirt under my vest and it helped considerably.

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
Superb Idea mate..

The compression vest may start to be uncomfortable and start to rub the skin under your arms so I started wearing a compression t-shirt under my vest and it helped considerably.

Offline boobbegone!

• Posting Member
Sorry for the late reply everyone, Iv been consumed with exams.

Thank you all soo much for your replies, it deff. helps a lot with the prep work.
The tips (throat, underarms, etc) are great, I would not have thought of any of them by myself.

The op is in 5 days, I will keep everyone updated. I cant wait to switch to the other side.

Once again everyone THANK YOU ALL for your help, I cant wait to be able to talk about my experience with someone that comes here asking the same question!

PICTURES TO COME!

Offline amethyst tint

• Posting Member
Good luck my man! It sounds as though you're making a good decision. I expect to be up sometime in 2011 myself.

Offline boobbegone!

• Posting Member
ALL DONE!!!!

Hey Everyone!! I'm writiing this post from home, 4 hours after the surgery. Everything went well (Dr. talked to mom, not me coz I was out cold, but told her that everything went according to plan). I'm still drowsy/grogy from the anistetics, a tad of stinging (tape on chest hair is painful!!). The Dr. didnt give me a vest, but I'm wrapped with an elasto-plast sorta tape, with drainage hoses. After I put on my tshirt i looked in the mirror and it was the WEIRDEST/BEST feeling ever when i didnt see two lumps on my chest pushing out the shirt!
I took pictures of the before (Which i will upload later) and I'm not sure when Il be taking the "After" pictures.

I just wanted to thank you guys for all your info, feed back, and support! If anyone is reading this that is thinking about doing the operaiton or has it booked but is nervous, there is NOTHING to be nervous about, its the best sleep ever! lol.

Well guys, I have to go rest up coz my head is still spinning (and Home Alone is on!).

Will be updating everyone later!

Take care!

Offline Endless

• Silver Member
congrats man!! had mine on dec 16.
Feeling great!!

im still also using the elastic bandages.
are u planning to buy a compression vest? here where im at, they dont really sell those but the bandages are easy to put on and are disposable so im thinking about going with bandages

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
gud on ya mate:)
welll done:)
post some pictures whenever can :)

Offline boobbegone!

• Posting Member
DAY 2 POST OP

Feeling great! Drainage hoses are still in, wont be removed till thursday (Dec 23rd). I'm sort of worried coz the bandages that are being used instead of the compression vest, are perforated, and are somewhat getting streched, which worries me coz they might tear a part.
Not sure if i should put an elastic band over it (and over the t shirt). I will be contacting the Surgons office but they might be a few hours (or a day or two) getting back to me.

As for the compression vest, I'm not sure where to get one, I bought a compression shirt (Which is SUPER SUPER SNUG, and should do the trick (from wal-mart of all places!), but that might be a pain to put on a take off.

Ps, is this this right catigory to keep posting updates? or should i move it somehwere else now that im done the operation?

Cheers!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024