Author Topic: My Surgery is already around the corner - 2 wks  (Read 2399 times)

Offline mrnomoobs

• Posting Member
Wow, time flies.  When I first scheduled this, I was at day 44 and depressed.  Now I only have 2 weeks left.  I am not nervous at all so far.  Just excited.  I have been reading about pre op and post ops lately.  Just seeing what to expect?  Tomorrow is my preop appt and pay the total.  This site has been a huge help for me.

One question I have is when can I start wearing pull over shirts?  I only have so many button up shirts.  I bought some Under Armour and want to start wearing them post op.

Also, how do the drains work?  The surgeon said he would probably apply those to me.  how does this work with the vest on?  Will they be in the way?

Offline Wonderman

• Posting Member
Good luck with your surgery, mine was three days ago.  I did not get any drains put in, but had what I think was a lot of discharge on one side.  This was only the day of surgery and very little afterwards. 

Hope your goes well also.

Offline mrnomoobs

• Posting Member
So how do you feel Wonder?  Are you happy so far?  Seems like a long road for the healing to works itself out.  But I am ready!

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
You'll be more than ready, mrbig!

For me, I didn't wear any pull-over shirts because I had to wear the compression vest for 4-weeks and I didn't want it to show under (my tees are kind of thin and my polos would show the vest) so I stuck with just button ups. Definitely couldn't wear them for the first week because I was instructed to not make big movements with my arms or raise them above my head.

I didn't get drains, either, and I had no discharge but I was swollen and badly bruised up under my arms.

Follow your doctor's advice on the compression vest because the Under Armour only provides a little support, so it may not be enough for the first few weeks. Ask your doctor, though.

I'm going to write a review on compression vests and post that in the Compression Garments area.

Offline annoyed30

• Posting Member
Mrbig,

i think it all depends on how big your surgery is, but i was able to put on a normal t-shirt at about day 5.  It was a bit of a pain to do so, but not that bad.  I am at one week and 2 days right now and have no problem with movement of my arms anymore.  It is a bit tender in the chest when i really stretch for something, but thats it.  One thing i cant do yet is sleep on my side. 

Offline mrnomoobs

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info guys.

My Pre-op is done.  Fees are all paid. I only got 9 days to GO!!!! So far not nervous. Just looking forward to the big day.  It seems like recovery is the biggest pain in the butt.  But time flies!

Offline Wonderman

• Posting Member
It's 10 days post op and I feel OK.  The first week of wearing this vest was hard, annoying, and simply uncomfortable.  I had lipo only and I can see some reduction, but not the extent I was hoping for. 

Dr suggested taking Medrol to help with swelling.

Has anyone used this?

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
Wonderman, I didn't use Medrol, it looks like a prescription medicine, but my doctor gave me Arnica (along with my RX medicines), which is a homeopathic herb that helps with swelling and bruising.

I hope you're doing well.

Offline Wonderman

• Posting Member
I got the prescription filled, $5 for a six day 21 dose pack.  Started today, will see if any effect on swelling and any side affects.

Will post what I find.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024