Author Topic: Right time to have my gyno surgery?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline bobby444

Hey guys,

I'm 21 and have had minor gyno (marble sized gland and slight fluid retention) for about 4 years now. After trying a lot of things and it getting slightly worse over this time I've decided to opt for surgery.

The thing is that I'm in my last year at university and will finish my final exams in the beginning of June. I'm thinking about having my surgery at the beginning of April which is the only time I can fit it in before this.

My question is related to healing time post-op. I want to enjoy my summer and not be worried about very visible scarring, and the many questions that will be directed at me because of it. However I'm weighing this up against having another summer with gyno and still not feeling great about taking my t-shirt off in public (plus wearing fitted t-shirts). Shall I wait until the end of summer, when I won't really need to be topless for many months? My gyno isn't huge though so what kind of healing timeline can I expect for the gyno scars?

Many thanks

DrBermant

Hey guys,

I'm 21 and have had minor gyno (marble sized gland and slight fluid retention) for about 4 years now. After trying a lot of things and it getting slightly worse over this time I've decided to opt for surgery.

The thing is that I'm in my last year at university and will finish my final exams in the beginning of June. I'm thinking about having my surgery at the beginning of April which is the only time I can fit it in before this.

My question is related to healing time post-op. I want to enjoy my summer and not be worried about very visible scarring, and the many questions that will be directed at me because of it. However I'm weighing this up against having another summer with gyno and still not feeling great about taking my t-shirt off in public (plus wearing fitted t-shirts). Shall I wait until the end of summer, when I won't really need to be topless for many months? My gyno isn't huge though so what kind of healing timeline can I expect for the gyno scars?

Many thanks

Then you should pick a doctor who also includes how their results evolve after surgery. The fastest way to an early recovery is to start out with minimal swelling and bruising after surgery. Then, with optimal recovery techniques, have peak swelling at the time of surgery. You can check a prior post about recovery and evolution after surgery here:

https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=4518.msg35043;topicseen#msg35043

However, this is real surgery and tissues need a chance to heal. Sun exposure is another factor. Too early tanning and you can get permanent dark scars. This is a trade off, living with the gynecomastia or giving the tissue enough chance to heal for optimal results.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Obviously, healing time is related to the extent of the surgery, how healthy and in-shape you are to begin with, and how carefully you follow your surgeon's post-op recommendations.

All that said, I often tell my patients that ideally, one should be about 80% healed at about one month after surgery.  That means one can return to the gym and workout and feel comfortable taking one's shirt off in public.  It does not mean perfect healing or mature scars -- that takes many months more.

I have many patients who have surgery in the spring and who are quite presentable for the summer months.  The only main precaution is to use sunblock on the scars.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline shaker

• Silver Member
Post spring or winter time would be ideal well for me that's how i choose my surgery time , starting march ! Because if u live at a location thats hot as crazy in summer.. i believe wearing vest would become very very uncomfortable and sweating would be annoying.

You said u dont have severe case so you could probably get it done after summer.. but yaa the first month is going to tricky and first week would be very tricky !

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024