Author Topic: Have I been fobbed off by my gp?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline charlie_tee

I went to go see my GP about my problem and it went far from well.  I think I have gynecomastia because I have puffy nipples and I can feel lumps behind them.  However, my GP had a quick prod and said there was nothing there.  I disagree with this because I can feel large lumps under each nipple, quite far underneath the fat, and when I grab it and tense my pectoral muscles it doesn't move so it must be glandular tissue right?

I've never taken any steroids I'm not overwieght and I'm 18 years old.  A few questions:

Just wondering if drugs like tamoxifen will have any effect now, considering I've had it since I was about 15.
Is there anyone out there from the Greater Manchester area who's managed to convince their GP to help them out?
How much does private surgery usually cost in the UK?
Can you have it done on the NHS even if its a minor case or do they just fob you off saying its cosmetic?

Thanks for any help.  I might post some pictures later just to make sure I'm not just being paranoid.

EDIT: http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,8801.0.html (some pics)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:36:30 AM by charlie_tee »

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
right matey
book back into the doctors and see another doctor
tell the doctor you feel humiliated and you feel let down by his reaction to your problem.
Then ask to be reffered to a Plastic Surgeon that hasd expierience in the moob removal op.
good luck and keep persevering
i am double your age and i havnt the time to wait for the op so i opted to go to poland and have it done :)
you have a few years where you can wait about for it :)
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline Hypo-is-here

A picture would paint a thousand words. 

If you post a picture on the site (cover your face) then people can offer you an honest opinion.  Not everyone who thinks they have gynecomastia has it, some people have body dysmorphic disorder and just think they have it, others are just overweight.

If you get people to look at a picture and they say- yes you have it then you know it isn't just in your head and you can go back to your doctor armed with that knowledge that it isn't just in your head/just you.

If people say that it appears that you do have gynecomastia you need to see your doctor and request a referral to an endocrinologist so that he can evaluate it and try and ascertain/rule out any underlying cause.

Offline man-chest-r

• Bronze Member
Charlie, I agree about posting a picture. I am in Greater Manchester, I had a good gp, but the NHS will only take you so far anyway. If the picture confirms you do have gyne you could try and see another gp. But you need to read up on the boards to check out what to do after that, in terms of how far the NHS will get you anyway. Its a bit of a lottery. I got quite a quick NHS appointment for the endo tests, but went private just to save three weeks of waiting. I also had an appointment with a PS privately, which cost me £100, but was well worth it, not least because he was very hesitant and saying you know, there are all kinds of potential problems (the kind of things people write about here); and then I took my baggy black jumper of and he just said, "yes, you've got it, you should have treatment, you should have had it done 20 years ago". While unleashed all kinds of emotions, but was a relief too.

So, it is rotten you have got so far as seeing your gp, and then to get knocked back. Get your photo posted, and keep coming back to this board for support.

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
I'm going to see a GP about my gyno tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. 

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
I went to see a GP yesterday.  Needless to say, while she was very nice and helpful, she was next to useless.  Still, I was expecting her to know little about the condition. 

She examined me and said she couldn't feel any gland, which is non-sense in the first place.  I can feel strands of gland with hard nodules intersecting fat, rather than say one solid mass behind the nipple.  I can feel it when I dig my fingers in, whereas she just gently push down on them. 

She seemed to think that bloodtests weren't really needed as I'd had the condition, with no change, since puberty.  However, she did suggested I come back in for some tests, just to make sure that there was no other problem causing it.

However, she did do some research into finding a place for surgery.  Unfortunately, the one hospital she mentioned was charging £6000!  She also mentioned that medical insurance might cover it, e.g. Bupa, but since I don't have that it isn't an option for me.  I can't exactly sign on for insurance just to claim for it either, can I?

So, all in all, visiting the doctor was pointless and what little she told me only confirmed what I already knew!

Offline charlie_tee

I wonder if you could sign on for the health insurance because your GP said she couldn't feel any gland, which means apparently you don't have it, so maybe there'd be no trouble getting it.

Still... what did she say about getting it done on the NHS, I know some people have had it done.  I think the trouble with my case is that its minor, so they'll probably say its not worth doing, even though it bothers me every day and I spend a huge amount of time thinking about it.

My GP just gently prodded me too, and because I was quite nervous I didn't think to tell her that you had to pinch around the nipple to feel it, as its not immediately under the surface.

Thankfully though, my life is too busy to worry about it too much at the moment.  But I'd like to know how other people have done with their GPs so I don't have to waste my time the next time I decide to go and do something about it.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I went to see a GP yesterday.  Needless to say, while she was very nice and helpful, she was next to useless.  Still, I was expecting her to know little about the condition. 

She examined me and said she couldn't feel any gland, which is non-sense in the first place.  I can feel strands of gland with hard nodules intersecting fat, rather than say one solid mass behind the nipple.  I can feel it when I dig my fingers in, whereas she just gently push down on them. 

She seemed to think that bloodtests weren't really needed as I'd had the condition, with no change, since puberty.  However, she did suggested I come back in for some tests, just to make sure that there was no other problem causing it.

BOLOX

I wonder if you could sign on for the health insurance because your GP said she couldn't feel any gland, which means apparently you don't have it, so maybe there'd be no trouble getting it.

Still... what did she say about getting it done on the NHS, I know some people have had it done.  I think the trouble with my case is that its minor, so they'll probably say its not worth doing, even though it bothers me every day and I spend a huge amount of time thinking about it.

My GP just gently prodded me too, and because I was quite nervous I didn't think to tell her that you had to pinch around the nipple to feel it, as its not immediately under the surface.

Thankfully though, my life is too busy to worry about it too much at the moment.  But I'd like to know how other people have done with their GPs so I don't have to waste my time the next time I decide to go and do something about it.

BOLOX

Not in a bad way but a good way for both of you.

First of all gps are ten a penny.

If you do not agree with your gp you can see another one within your practice.  If there are no more within the practice or they refuse you seeing them then FIRE THIER ASS!!!!!

And go and register at another sugery.

Request a referral to an endocrinologist given the problem- no gp has the right to refuse this request.

When you get to see an endocrinologist you will be nearer to the possibility of surgery and you should wil get proper blood pathology.

You MUST have a FAR stronger resolve in dealing with these people you HAVE FAR more rights and options than you realise.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:24:32 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
Had my blood taken for tests today.  I'll get the results back in a week.  :)

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
Well, I got some blood tests done through my GP and the results came back as normal.

Offline charlie_tee

What you gonna do now then?  I think I'm gonna try lose some body fat and then it'll be easier for them to do the op and they'll be more likely to let me have it done.  Really I just haven't been bothered to get another appointment.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

BOLOX

BOLOX

Not in a bad way but a good way for both of you.

First of all gps are ten a penny.

If you do not agree with your gp you can see another one within your practice.  If there are no more within the practice or they refuse you seeing them then FIRE THIER ASS!!!!!

And go and register at another sugery.

Request a referral to an endocrinologist given the problem- no gp has the right to refuse this request.

When you get to see an endocrinologist you will be nearer to the possibility of surgery and you should wil get proper blood pathology.

You MUST have a FAR stronger resolve in dealing with these people you HAVE FAR more rights and options than you realise.

I miss Hypo.. he had such a simple way with words.   ;D

Come back mate .. we miss you.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024