Author Topic: Can I manage it alone?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline abbey

• Posting Member
Hi all,

I am scheduled to undergo a surgery in December. I will have to get the surgery done alone, as I have not told about my condition to anyone. I am not much worried about the surgery itself but I am worried whether I will be able to manage all my activities after surgery by myself.

Since I am alone, I will be staying in the hospital overnight before returning back home. Any suggestions on post operative care will be very helpful. Things which I should not do, things which I will be able to do.

Thanks!

Offline emjay

• Posting Member
I have not yet had surgery, so I can't answer from experience...but if you are really concerned about it, you could hire a day nurse to come by your place after you leave the hospital.  I know it is not cheap, but just a heads up in case you didn't know that was an option

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
You will need someone to drive you home after the surgery. They will not let you drive home ( or back to the hotel) yourself.

I can remember some posts by other guys who hired a service to take them from the surgical center back to their hotel room.

Offline problem man

• Silver Member
Since I am alone, I will be staying in the hospital overnight before returning back home. Any suggestions on post operative care will be very helpful. Things which I should not do, things which I will be able to do.
Thanks!
I was in your situation last month. I did it alone.
I think you will be able to do everything except lift heave objects. so don't lift objects heavier than a 2 litre bottle atleast for a week. don't ride bike for atleast 2 weeks, don't smoke, etc... there are some good threads regarding this, just search!

Offline mmaman

• Silver Member
I went it alone.  I had surgery, got released to a friend whom I lied to about what certain procedure i was having.  I went back to the hotel and smoked a pre rolled blunt.  I fell asleep right away to an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. The next day I drove 600 miles to a forest fire that I was employed on.  Had one more night (In which I got pretty hammed) to sleep in a tent and it was back to work. Light work for a wildland firefighter but still work.  My biggest concern was ripping a stitch.  If you happen to lift a 2 liter pop, i wouldn't worry broham.  I imagine that after a day in a hospital you will be released.  If not, i would find a new surgeon.  Can't speak on what not to do.  One word of advice is that, if you have sex with a random girl that night, wear a condom.  There are lots of diseases out there.  This surgery is like going to the dentist for a root canal.  I worked my chest at the gym at 1 week, which actually removed the stagnant hematoma.  My swelling never returned after that.  Anywho, chill and find something else to worry about.  There's always something to worry about. 

Peace           

Offline outertrial

I went it alone.  I had surgery, got released to a friend whom I lied to about what certain procedure i was having.  I went back to the hotel and smoked a pre rolled blunt.  I fell asleep right away to an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. The next day I drove 600 miles to a forest fire that I was employed on.  Had one more night (In which I got pretty hammed) to sleep in a tent and it was back to work. Light work for a wildland firefighter but still work.  My biggest concern was ripping a stitch.  If you happen to lift a 2 liter pop, i wouldn't worry broham.  I imagine that after a day in a hospital you will be released.  If not, i would find a new surgeon.  Can't speak on what not to do.  One word of advice is that, if you have sex with a random girl that night, wear a condom.  There are lots of diseases out there.  This surgery is like going to the dentist for a root canal.  I worked my chest at the gym at 1 week, which actually removed the stagnant hematoma.  My swelling never returned after that.  Anywho, chill and find something else to worry about.  There's always something to worry about. 

Peace           

Blimey!

EDIT - I would respond too but I feel testosterone deficient after that.

Offline abbey

• Posting Member
Thanks All!

Your response have really boosted my confidence. I hope everything will be fine.

-Abbey

Offline theblues

• Bronze Member
I have the same dilemma. If I'm home alone that week, I'll get a taxi or a friend to drive me home, if not, I'll go to a hotel for a night or two, and then return home.

Problem is, I got a dog a few weeks ago and I have to walk him several times a day. Have no idea how I'll manage to avoid pulling on that leash for a few days.  :(

Offline shughes123

• Posting Member
Another thing to keep in mind is too make sure you don't have to reach overhead much.  I wasn't alone after the surgery, but I didn't really need help with much.  The pain should be minimal.  The only thing that's hard to do is reach overhead.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024