Author Topic: Considering surgery - need advise  (Read 1661 times)

Offline knibbles

I am 39 years old.  I have enlarged chest area since I was in my teens and I thought it would go away with exercise, diet and what not.

After many years of dilemma, I finally saw a plastic surgeon today.  He says that I have a quite "sizable" mammary gland - about 400-450 gms on each side :(.

Attached a couple of photos.  He suggests he would perform an incision via the Areola and remove the mammary gland and liposuction to remove the fat.

1)  I have read the forum quite a bit, but I am worried about side effects and concerns.  Is there a big problem of "loose skin" post surgery?  Is it addressable?  The Dr. says he will address it to most extent during the surgery, but there is a chance of something not looking perfect, which might need corrective procedures later on.

2)  Are there any side effects to the procedure in general?

I was fairly confident of getting the surgery done, now I am getting cold feet.

Any suggestion / advise would be very helpful.

hammer

If you have done your homework and found a good doctor you shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as the results. Your case is minor compared to some that have posted so the excess skin should not be to much of a problem either.

As far as having surgery, I've been through many! Both knees replaced, 9 hours of back fusion and others as well! In Dec I'm having my SI joint fused. As for surgeries, there are things that can go wrong, but there are things that can go wrong crossing the street too! If the end result is worth it, as for me it usually means less chronic pain, then you can over come the fear, and go through the surgery without a second thought.

Good luck!

Bob

Offline knibbles

Thanks Bob.  I guess I am not that confident about the Doctor.  I haven't read any direct reviews about the Dr. yet.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Check on the credentials of the Surgeon and go with that. If the surgeon is properly trained and qualified in cosmetic surgery then go for it. Obviously that should include a history of doing similar procedures with some regularity.

Checking on-line reviews can be terribly misleading. Satisfied patients quietly go their way and people who are less than happy can be highly vocal.   
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024