Author Topic: do drains promote or delay healing?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
drains- this is probably the most confusing part of gyne surgery.. not sure if anybody has the answers.
already got feedback from some ppl regarding this..
in generall ppl who had drains felt it removes a lot of unwanted fluid/blood from the body.

i would like some doctors or some senior guys who really know the science behind the drains to answer this question...
this will really help ppl understand why some doctors use drains whereas some don't..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_%28surgery%29
as per this article, drains seem to delay healing..
my doctor me that  you have any lumpy feeling  in the chest if drains are not used.

one query to ppl who didn't have drains - did you have any lumpy feeling in the chest for 2 to 3 days after surgery?
Thanks,
Tony.

DrBermant

drains- this is probably the most confusing part of gyne surgery.. not sure if anybody has the answers.
already got feedback from some ppl regarding this..
in generall ppl who had drains felt it removes a lot of unwanted fluid/blood from the body.

i would like some doctors or some senior guys who really know the science behind the drains to answer this question...
this will really help ppl understand why some doctors use drains whereas some don't..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_%28surgery%29
as per this article, drains seem to delay healing..
my doctor me that  you have any lumpy feeling  in the chest if drains are not used.

one query to ppl who didn't have drains - did you have any lumpy feeling in the chest for 2 to 3 days after surgery?
Thanks,
Tony.

The need for drains or how much comes out depends on the problem to be treated, skill of the surgeon, method(s) of surgery, and other factors.  I prefer techniques that minimize the need for drains or draining fluid with needles.  Not needing drains is one of the many factors that permits my patients the comfort after gynecomastia surgery that seems to need only Tylenol for most of my patients. Some take a few stronger pain medications, but optimizing comfort, minimizing swelling and bruising and not needing drains are among the factors that can influence results. 

Even the best techniques for removing a drain is not as comfortable as not needing a drain in the first place.  My use of drains or needing to drain fluid is less than 1% with my Gynecomastia Male Chest Sculpture Dynamic Technique.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024