Author Topic: BICUSPID AORTIC VALVE & Gyne Surgery (HELP)  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
So I went to get my blood test the other day, and the doctor checked my heart with the tool thing....and she said I might have this bicuspid aortic valve which is not that serious at all but its basically a slight defect in the heart. Its basically nothing serious, cant really kill you or anything but they said it only dangerous when you are doing a open surgery like wisdom teeth surgery or stomach surgery, since bacteria can enter the body this way easier. They said gyne surgery should not be a problem at all, I emailed my surgeon but they have not replied yet and I am freaking out, since I dont know what he will say. Will this stop me from getting surgery? I hope not, that would totally ruin my life.

They are not sure if I even have it, they said I should get it xrayd or something. I had my wisdom teeth removed before and nothing happened, I had them removed like 6 months ago.

Please help!
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Just because you were lucky once does not mean you are leading a charmed life.

You have been told that there is a potential problem. If you would really like to live a long life, you must take the information seriously and share the information with any doctor who treats you in the future.

It could result in something as simple as a course of an antibiotic coincidental with your surgery. It is also possible that greater precautions are in order, You will need to discuss this with your surgeon. Perhaps the two Dr's. may need to consult with each other.

In my own case, My Dentist will not do any oral surgery on me without calling my Cardiologist first. It can be a bit of a nuisance, but I know that this is in my best interest.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
Just because you were lucky once does not mean you are leading a charmed life.

You have been told that there is a potential problem. If you would really like to live a long life, you must take the information seriously and share the information with any doctor who treats you in the future.

It could result in something as simple as a course of an antibiotic coincidental with your surgery. It is also possible that greater precautions are in order, You will need to discuss this with your surgeon. Perhaps the two Dr's. may need to consult with each other.

In my own case, My Dentist will not do any oral surgery on me without calling my Cardiologist first. It can be a bit of a nuisance, but I know that this is in my best interest.

Well actually people with this condition live as long as people without it, its nothing serious really. Plus they dont know if I have it for sure, I had many dentist appointments and not a single one caused anything. Hopefully I will hear from my surgeon soon.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Until the condition is either confirmed or determined to not exist, (hopefully the latter) the Surgeon and Anesthesiologist should know of the suspicion that it may exist.

It is never wise to keep such things secret from your Doctor.

Hopefully the concern is needless, but you should take it seriously until you know for sure.

Lets say that there is a bit of a murmur for example. If the Anesthesiologist knows about it in advance and has been able to consult your other Doctor it will not come as a surprise and the procedure will go forward. If it was not mentioned beforehand and the Anesthesiologist found it just as the anesthesia was about to be administered the procedure would likely be delayed until the condition could be checked out and a new surgical date set in the future. Unless you want to delay the surgery, be upfront with everything. Anesthesiologists and Surgeons do not like surprises.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024