Author Topic: Paying for it.  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Mistergreen

I'm 23 years old, still in college working a part time job that doesn't pay to well.  I don't have insurance and i'm not really sure what to do.

I've had this issue since i was 10 years old, and it has ruined pretty much every major event in my life.  

I really need to get this fixed but i don't know how to pay for it.  The Doctors where i live are saying between 3-4,000 dollars (USA) and i'm not sure where to get that money.

Is there anyone in the same situation as me or who was in the same situation who could share some tips on how to come up with the funds to pay for your surgery?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Your price estimate for surgery is pretty much in the average and realistic.  I don't know if there's a way of gaining that much money at one time unless you take out a loan.  Credit cards are pretty easy to get unless your credit is totally horrible.  You'd have a payment to make for a long time if you go that route, though.  I would suggest doing another job part time or selling something of value to get at least part of the money saved.  Stereo?  Skis?  Guitar?  Are they worth more than getting rid of the gyne?  

If you have part of the money in hand, then maybe the PS's office has some kind of payment plan and you could use that as a down payment.  

There's not an easy single answer, but if there's a will there's a way.    Start saving now and believe me it will add up.  Start buying your clothes at thrift stores instead of at the mall.  If you have any pocket change at the end of the day, put it in a container.  Buy the store brand of cola instead of the name brand.  Start a savings account at the bank and start putting 5% of your paycheck into it every time you get paid.  If you go to a small bank you may even be able to start your account with less money than usually required if you tell them you're saving your money up for a surgery that you need (they don't have to know what kind of surgery).  It doesn't hurt to ask.  No one of these things will make you rich, but all of them together can help you achieve your goal.  Don't be tempted to use that saved money for anything, though.   Be patient and faithful to your cause.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline flex1appeal

I think mr nip gave excellent suggestions. Credit aside, the majority of us had to save for it. Cut backs are essential for saving. Figure out what you are willing to sacrifice to get this done. Maybe you can live without certain things you are accustomed to for a few months or even a year. Things like a cell phone, going to the bar, or even putting a romantic life on hold so as you aren't spending money on dates. Sounds rash but these are the type of things you have to ask yourself if they are more important to you than getting this fixed. If you have excellent credit then that would be the easiest route. Take out a loan and repay it monthly. Maybe a relative or close friend may lend you money?

flex

Offline Mistergreen

Your right it def is worth more than some of the things i have that could be worth some money.  Hopefully i can find some money somewhere and get this done as soon as possible.

Thanks for the tips.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024