Author Topic: Very important instruction for pre/post op care  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Calg-puffed

• Bronze Member
Well I went and saw my PS today, I'm scheduled for surgery on March 7th.  I'm excited.  He gave me a printout on what to follow prior to and after surgery.  It is very strict, but I noticed there are a lot of things here that I couldn't find mentioned on this site.  He says his patients, when following the stricter guidelines, almost always have better outcomes.  I'll share them with you:

No solid food should be taken six hours prior to surgery.  You may have water up to four hours prior to surgery.  Any regular medications should be taken in the morning with a sip of water.  Any preoperative medications (they prescribed me an antibiotic along with relaxants) that you have been told to take prior to surgery should be taken according to instructions.  Your operation may be postponed due to an acute medical condition i.e. a severe sore throat or high fever.

Aspirin or aspirin-containing medications (e.g. 292's, 222's, Anacin) or aspirin like medications (e.g. Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin) AND ALL VITAMINS AND ALL HERBS (any herbal teas, or herbal supplements such as primrose oil, cod liver oil, garlic, protein drinks should not be taken for TWO WEEKS prior to surgery.  These substances increase the clotting time of the blood that may lead to more bleeding in the area of the surgery that in turn may increase post-operative swelling.  You may resume these medications a week after surgery.  Some chemicals in cigarette smoke interfere with skin circulation and also delay healing, which can result in permanent scarring.  For faster healing of your incisions and to minimize complications, refrain from smoking, chewing nicotine gum and/or wearing nicotine skin patches for AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS prior to and four weeks following surgery.  If you are presently taking any medications, make sure you notify the doctor what they are.  Refrain from eating salty foods a day or two before surgery and for a few days after surgery to help reduce post-surgical swelling.  Any foods that are packaged or canned contain salt.  Some foods to avoid are: ready-made canned soups, deli meats, any carbonated beverates (pop), or fast foods including pizza and Chinese foods.  I suggest eating fresh fruits, vegetables, grain cereals, broiled meats or fish with no added sauces that usually are high in salt content.  Eat limited amounts of dariy products until your regular appetite returns.  Always maintain a high water intake to keep your body well hydrated.  Pain medication and antibiotics are more effective if you consume plenty of water.

On the evening prior to surgery or on the day of surgery, please shower and shampoo your hair.  No cosmetics or jewelry should be worn on the day of your surgery.  If you wear dentures, they will be left in during surgery in most situations.  To facilitate ease of dressing with minimal discomfort and so as not to disturb your dressing or sutures following surgery, wear a loose-fitting blouse or button-up shirt as opposed to a pull-over sweater for the first few days.  A responsible adult must accompany you home.  You should not drive your own vehicle for 24 hours nor consume alcoholic beverages for 24 hours.  We strongly suggest that a responsible adult remain with you for the first 24 hours and that you take your medication per instructions.

Movements of the arms, especially at the shoulders, should be restricted for the first two or three days.  Generally speaking, if a specific shoulder movement causes even minimal breast discomfort, then the movement should not be done.  You will find that you will be able to increase the range of motion of your arms a little more each day with decreasing discomfort.  If you wear your compression vest after surgery and limit the amount of breast movement, your pain should be minimal.

If sleeping on your side or your abdomen causes you some breast discomfort, then you should sleep on your back until the discomfort subsides.

To facilitate ease of dressing with minimal discomfort, you should wear clothes that button up the front as opposed to pullover sweaters where arm movement has to be used.

The analgesics for pain relief should be used as required.  There may be nausea and vomiting following your surgery.  This can be treated with Gravol pills or suppositories or other appropriate medication that has been prescribed.

You may have a drain in each breast and you have to return the day after surgery to have them removed.  Following reduction, a shower may be taken on the second day after surgery, or a day after your drains have been removed if drains were used.  Remove your support vest and gauze dressing but leave your skin tapes in place.  The skin tapes generally come off spontaneously seven to ten days following surgery.  Please remove these tapes on the tenth day  A shower as opposed to a bath is preferred until the incisions have sealed completely and the tapes have been removed usually 4 weeks later.  Do not have a bath or use a pool, hot tub, jacuzzi, steam room or sauna until after your 4 week follow up appt.

You should notify the office or report for a visit if you experience: chills or fever (temperature above 38°C or 100.4°F), nausea and vomiting that does not appear to be resolving, or any redness, swelling, foul-smelling drainage or excessive bleeding from the incision areas should be reported.

Your follow up call will be made within 2 business days following your surgery.  If you haven't heard from the office and have any questions or concerns please call xxx-xxx-xxxx and speak with xxxxx.  Check the office if you have concerns prior to your scheduled appointment.  If you are admitted to hospital for any reason within the first ten days following surgery, please notify the office.

So that's pretty much what it says.  I hope it provides some useful information.  Just as a note, the doctor and nurse both confirmed that the compression vest should be worn consistently for 12 full weeks after surgery, including while sleeping, except for showering.  This will help the skin compress and stay tight to the chest.  I notice on here a lot of people have problems after removing their vest, saying the swelling comes back very soon and what not, and this is usually when people remove their vest after 2 - 4 weeks after surgery.  They said it's absolutely imparitive for good results to wear the vest for 12 weeks.  Uncomfortable as it may be, it's 12 weeks out of the rest of your life.  Also do not try to get over-eager in moving your arms and regaining mobility.  Any movement that moves your chest wall is going to interfere with proper healing and reattachment of the skin to the chest wall.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
that's really good, thanks for typing it up.  with exception of the few details that could vary like drains, that's probably sound advice across the board. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Shattered_Nyte

• Silver Member
I would really like to know who your PS is as well?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
A lot of the things you quote there were also mentioned in the folder given to me by my PS prior to surgery.  One extra thing I was told to do was to take Arnica in tablet form, for 1 week prior to the surgery and for 2 weeks post surgery.  Arnica apparently reduces bruising and swelling.

Some may think these precautions are a little “over the top”, however my attitude is if there is any chance of any of these things assisting in the surgical procedure and the recovery period afterwards, then they get my vote.
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
...One extra thing I was told to do was to take Arnica in tablet form, for 1 week prior to the surgery and for 2 weeks post surgery.  Arnica apparently reduces bruising and swelling....

That's interesting.  I think I'll ask my PS about that at my revision pre op appt. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Chilli

• Posting Member
That was very interesting, thank you Calg-puffed! Just a quick question!

Was that one of your first meetings? If not, when was your first meeting? Im interested in how long it takes from the first meeting to the date of surgery!

The annoying thing is the length of time you have to wear the compression vest, sadly it looks like its going to have to be an after summer job for myself then  :( If I were lucky to get it down beginnin of April, then thats the beginnin of July. My summer starts 2nd week of June. Can anyone add anything to the length of time to wear the compression vest?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024