Author Topic: how to recognise scar tissue, and better to massage or not  (Read 1616 times)

Offline brittguy1068

• Posting Member
Hi,
I'm now 16 days post op, and all going very well :)  I have read about scar tissue being most noticeable at 4-6 weeks, but Im wondering how to recognise when or if you have scar tissue.

Also, I have seen many mention massage, but how loong after surgery should this be started, what benefits does it offer, and what if any are the precautions when massaging.

Thanks     

Offline Zenxer

• Bronze Member
  • Mm.. Donuts
Scar tissue feels hard to the touch. Don't start feeling your chest right now, it'll probably have hard spots, but that's cause you're just two weeks post-op. Scar tissue tends to form anywhere from 3weeks-6 weeks post op from what I've read online. Benefits of massaging? It can reduce the hard spot significantly, therefor making your contour look much better. Sometimes if a patient gets too much scar tissue, the surgeon will inject a kenalog shot to shrink it.

I would consult with your doctor and ask him what you should do if you do get some scar tissue. Some doctors say massage lightly after a week, some say massage hard after 3. Just contact your surgeon.
My surgery was done on Oct 20th, 2014 by Dr. J. Craig Fielding in Toronto, Ontario.

Offline brittguy1068

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024