Author Topic: 3 Weeks Before Shower???  (Read 3727 times)

Offline slade

• Posting Member
Ok so just as the post says. I had a consultation with the surgeon at Kaiser for the gyne surgery. I have lurked on this site for a while and read topic after topic. Doc says I can't shower for 3 straight weeks. Sponge bath only. Now this one is for the doctors and everyone else. I know most of you were permitted to take a shower only after the drains were removed and only then were you allowed to remove compression vest.

I have always been very conscientious of my hygiene so I was relieved i'd only have to go a couple of days. Surgery date is the 15 and I really want to be clean on Christmas. I'm sure many can understand that. I am extremely paranoid about excess skin and the concept of another surgery though so the surgeons scare tactics have filled me with doubt. If keeping that vest on every second of every day for 3 weeks will improve the chances I won't have excess skin by even 1% i'll take it.

But common guys I am pretty sure that the vest will smell like no other if I don't wash it for 3 straight weeks because I was instructed not to remove it. Did anyone experience any complications from showering after the drains were removed within the first 5 days.

Doctors is my surgeon bogus in his desire to keep me away from the shower for 3 weeks straight???

Offline BadCaseGyno

• Bronze Member
You don't need to keep it on every second of the day. Taking it off for showers won't hurt at all. As for washing it, buy another one online. I was able to shower after they removed the drains, they just said to not let the force of the water hit the chest area.

DrBermant

Ok so just as the post says. I had a consultation with the surgeon at Kaiser for the gyne surgery. I have lurked on this site for a while and read topic after topic. Doc says I can't shower for 3 straight weeks. Sponge bath only. Now this one is for the doctors and everyone else. I know most of you were permitted to take a shower only after the drains were removed and only then were you allowed to remove compression vest.

I have always been very conscientious of my hygiene so I was relieved i'd only have to go a couple of days. Surgery date is the 15 and I really want to be clean on Christmas. I'm sure many can understand that. I am extremely paranoid about excess skin and the concept of another surgery though so the surgeons scare tactics have filled me with doubt. If keeping that vest on every second of every day for 3 weeks will improve the chances I won't have excess skin by even 1% i'll take it.

But common guys I am pretty sure that the vest will smell like no other if I don't wash it for 3 straight weeks because I was instructed not to remove it. Did anyone experience any complications from showering after the drains were removed within the first 5 days.

Doctors is my surgeon bogus in his desire to keep me away from the shower for 3 weeks straight???

Patient Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery is not just how much pain medication is needed. I evolved my Dressings After Gynecomastia Surgery and rare need for drains just so my patients can typically shower just 24 hours after surgery. Once there are drains, showering is a danger.

A few of my patients feel the need to even be able to have "clean" After Surgery Garments wanting to wash them each day. These few select individuals purchase a second garment so one can be worn while the other is being washed. Having a garment off for the time to wash and dry the compression garment would result in too much tissue swelling from lack of compression.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline slade

• Posting Member
I don't want to inhibit the healing process. Just wondering how factual my surgeons instructions were. 3 weeks without shower seems a bit excessive no matter what technique is used. But am just wondering what other peoples experiences are. Or if the doctors advise that I go ahead with the 3 week thing.

DrBermant

I don't want to inhibit the healing process. Just wondering how factual my surgeons instructions were. 3 weeks without shower seems a bit excessive no matter what technique is used. But am just wondering what other peoples experiences are. Or if the doctors advise that I go ahead with the 3 week thing.

If you do not trust your doctor's after surgery instructions, why are you having surgery done by this doctor?

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline slade

• Posting Member

If you do not trust your doctor's after surgery instructions, why are you having surgery done by this doctor?

Michael Bermant, MD
I don't mean to be difficult. I just have read so much info on here and although many different surgeons tend to favor different regiments I figured that there would be pretty reliable consistency with how the healing process is addressed. I don't intend to go against doctors orders. I just wanted a second opinion from another doctor or those who have had it about any complications that arose from premature bathing (assuming drains are out). If he's not willing to sponge then I will except it. I want to heal as quickly and as well as nicely as I can. Cleanliness is just a huge thing for me. Its a tough pill too swallow.

DrBermant

Michael Bermant, MD
I don't mean to be difficult. I just have read so much info on here and although many different surgeons tend to favor different regiments I figured that there would be pretty reliable consistency with how the healing process is addressed. I don't intend to go against doctors orders. I just wanted a second opinion from another doctor or those who have had it about any complications that arose from premature bathing (assuming drains are out). If he's not willing to sponge then I will except it. I want to heal as quickly and as well as nicely as I can. Cleanliness is just a huge thing for me. Its a tough pill too swallow.

Not all surgeons have the same skills nor uses the same methods.  Each surgeon evolves his / her own techniques. That is why finding out about that specific surgeon's methods / results is so critical.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024