Author Topic: Operation on Saturday with Dr K - any tips/advice pre op?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Guys

I am having my op with Dr K on Saturday 4th October. Getting V nervous now with the usual pre op doubts creeping in (what if it doesnt work etc).

Is there anything I need to do before saturday, such as shaving armpits/chest? Is that recommended?

My wife is coming along with me - do you guys know if she can wait in my room - I guess she probably can.

Anything else I need to do/be aware of? Any tips or recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

hadenuf

Hi dude. I too am in with Dr K on saturday and I have the same thoughts as you. I am to check in at 8am so not sure what time the procedure will take place. My wife will be with me too so hope she can stay in the room as it will be a long day for her.

Good luck!

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Hey dude

I am an overnighter (only way I could get it done without a long long wait) so you will be free of the curse before I arrive. Good luck and I hope that you get the results we are all after. A new chapter will open up on Sunday morning for us (now I just need to dig out those T shirts I have been avoiding!).

Had a trial run with the compression vest today - great look achieved with it on, gave me a sneek preview of what I expect to look like post op. V hot though so I am glad I am not doing this in the summer months!

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
Your wife / partner can stay in your room while you go down for your op. Not sure about overnight though?

What should you do pre op? Stay off the booze! And relax, there's nothing to worry about. You will be fine and you are in good hands.

I don't regret shaving my chest one bit as it helped with removing the dressings, but to be honest I got a lot of irritation when the hair started to grow back as it kept getting stuck in the compression vest. My wife said I would have been better getting it waxed (from experience obviously! :D) as the hair grown back less prickly apparently. May be worth doing. I would also advise to shave / wax under your arms as this is also another area where it hurts like hell when removing the dressings. It also means you can have a good luck at your incisions when changing your dressings.  ;)

Good luck guys and see you on the other side!  ;D
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

Offline Henry

• Posting Member
Yup, I'd go with a good shave! Waxing is way too painful !! A good 2" circle around each nipple and shave completely under each arm.
Overnight is real uncomfortable. I wouldn't have had any sleep if I hadn't brought my own sleeping pills. You have to sleep on your back (back ache!) with a needle stuck in the back of your hand in case they have to administer any medication in an emergency during the nite. Add to that you are wearing "The Vest" and anti thrombosis stockings all nite and it doesnt make for a comfortable time !! Plus, just as you are dropping off, a nurse comes in to see if your are OK! Why they have to wake you, by turning the light on, I don't know. Def not worth the extra £500 it costs ! You'll be glad to leave! I was !
Anyway, good luck.
Don't forget the local aneasthetic lasts for 24 hours post op, so if you can't feel anything when you wake up, you will a day later.....BUT only when you touch it, so leave well alone. Mine was painful to touch for 7 days. Now 20 days post op and only tiny areas of any discomfort. Bruising almost gone. Even the deep purple ones.
Results - well the right side looks OK. The hard scar tissue is getting smaller each day. Left side is not so good. Looks & feels very lumpy. Not smooth at all. Generally I'd give it 6.5 out of 10. Just hoping it gets better with time. Early days yet, I know. I guess an old fart like me (50) is harder to sculpt the result to make it look natural. Right now, in a certain light, it just looks as tho I've had a 4" band of fat hoovered out from across my chest, and not very subtlely either! It just doesn't blend in very well with the rest of me.
I hope this doesnt put you off. I'm sure a younger guy would fare better.
H

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Henry

Thanks for the advice.

I just read your post 1 day post op and you said everything was really flat - are you sure that this you are not just now suffering from transitional swelling?

Have you spoken to Dr K re your thoughts?

I hope it will settle down for you.

Regards,

hadenuf

Fingers crossed it all goes fine for us then. I admit I am more concerned about not getting the best results than I am the actual op. I just hope to be lucky enough to get results first time without further work and the costs that go with it. It does seem a fine line between not taking enough and taking too much. Lets hope he has not got a hangover! I have to make light of it or I may just cry :'(

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Hadenuf

24 hrs to go to be gyne free - I hope you are getting as nervous as me. Its not the op but the results I am scared of.

I hope he doesnt sneeze whilst hoovering me out!!

Offline fed-up

• Silver Member
One advice i would give is to be prepered to feel the best you've ever felt! ! ! Because its umbelivable being on the other side  ;D
Surgery performed by Alex Karidis - 11/09/08

Offline kingboob

Just have realistic expectations.     The op will not change you as a person and can not really cure gynecomastia... IMO the mental effects stay with you for a while.

The operation will go smoothly, these guys are experts and are doing 4... 5? 6?  operations a day some times I guess, so just relax and remember things take a long time to come together post op.

Pain, bruising, swelling, lumps & bumps.... all normal in my experience......... infact when I woke up from the op I had Ben Nevis (fluid collection) on one side and the Grand Canyon on the other, but things have evened out nicely over the last 3 months and it all looks FLAT and I am starting to get some more 'pec' shape by working with weights in the gym.

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Well that's me done and on the other side. I am very flat at the moment, much more so than I thought I would be as I had bad gyne. There is some sagging going on at the moment but this should tighten up as time passes. Will update as thing progress but very happy right now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024