Author Topic: New User, other options aside from surgery.  (Read 623 times)

Offline fgyno

Hi, I'm Jay. I've had gyno since puberty, its been an insecurity of mine for the past 20 years, in my 30's now. Mine isn't the worst, but its definitely easy to spot, even though I am somewhat muscular. I've gotten the fittest I can get in the past, and no matter what, it's noticeable, especially to me. I've worn a tank top(A-Shirt), underneath every shirt I have worn since puberty. Done living life like this.

So I got proactive last October, had just gotten out of the military. Went to an endocrinologist, got all my levels checked. However prior to that, I mentioned I am not interested in being prescribed tamoxifen based on all I had read about it. I was interested in mirroring the study that utilized Raloxifene. The doctor didn't say no and seemed to acknowledge it. Many $$$ later mentions he can put me on tamoxifen. This I will not do. This is the one time I am interested in trying some type of substance to get rid of this(I have never taken any type of steroids). After I try that if it is ineffective, I will go for the surgery.

I have reached out to many different endocrinologist offices in the NYC, Long Island area, I seem to get the runaround every time.

I hope I am not breaking any rules of this forum by asking this.
But are there any doctors in this general area, that someone can point me in the right direction to, who is OPEN to potentially offering that type of treatment.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you all for your time.

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
Welcome.  The general consensus is that gyne will either clear up within 2 years, or stay.  Since you've had it so long now, no medication will make the glands vanish (assuming it is "true" gyne).  I'm afraid the only way to get rid of them it to have them chopped.

Of course there are those of us who decide not to go under the knife for whatever reason and to live with them, but that's a personal choice.

Offline fgyno

I appreciate the response. I also understand that is some consensus, not all of it. One of the studies which utilized Raloxifene, showed a 61% decrease in all participants of the study. The ages were from 18-84, and even though it was a small study, I'm willing to see for myself if I can, instead of dropping 10k for surgery first.(I also find it strange, that with results like this more studies have not been done. Yet studies with tamoxifen seem to be abundant.) I appreciate you trying to be helpful. What I would greatly appreciate, is if someone could point me in the direction of my original post. Thank you for your time to respond though "JohannK".

The study if anyone is interested.
https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7410.301

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024