Author Topic: Post op , Drains problem !!  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Abdo

Hello everyone ..

i made my gyno surgery 5 days ago [ Monday ] , the doctor put 2 drains in my chest ,

at first , they were very annoying .. very restricting my movement .. and sometimes painful ..

it has been 5 days now and they're still draining fluid & blood

HOW MUCH DOES IT TAKE TO TAKE THEM OUT ? i mean aren't 5 days are enough ? .. and if i take them let's say tomorrow , is there any way to drain the swelling [ hematoma ] that might result later on ?

Thx  ;)

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
When I had my first surgery - I had drains put in. We removed them after 1 week.

After a revision - no drains were put in. And I developed massive swelling. He aspirated it with a syringe (stick a needle into the lump and suck the blood out). But it couldn't suck enough out.

Finally we put drains back in 6 days ago and everything has been great.

Yesterday (5 days) we looked at the amount still being drained and decided to wait until Monday. So that would be 8 days we keep them in.

That's just my experience. I've always had 'open' drains put in. So just a little tube that comes out of my chest and opens into gauze pad. The only time it hurt was when the tape holding the gauze was tugging on some chest hairs.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help answer your questions!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The use of drains depends upon the actual procedure and the surgeon's preference.

In my practice, drains are used 1-2% of the time.  Other surgeons use them 100% of the time -- and anything in-between.

Drains should be thought of as a safety plug -- used only when necessary.

The management of drains also varies.  Some surgeons keep them in place for days (and even weeks).  In my practice, I get them out as early as possible (often in 1-2 days).

One must keep in mind that drains serve to remove any blood or fluid that might accumulate -- but they can also provide access for bacteria to enter the body.  That is why antibiotics are usually continued as long as the drains are in place.  And that is why I try to remove drains as early as possible -- to prevent bacteria from entering the body.

Bottom line:  every surgeon has his own set of rules for use of drains.  If you have drains, it would be best to follow your own surgeon's recommendations -- those recommendations are based on his experience.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024