Author Topic: Pre-Op Sedative Medication before General Anesthesia?  (Read 3076 times)

Offline andy_v800

• Posting Member
Hi, so it will be 15 days until my Gyno surgery. I am nervous and excited the same time. What I mean by excited, that I will finally loose my man boobs once and for all. Nervous is just nervous about the surgery.
Question. Can I request a mild sedative like Xanax or Ativan to help my anxiety on the day of the surgery and right before going under general anesthesia?
I heard that they usually will give a pre-op sedative medication to help ease the nervousness right before going under. The common ones I heard was Demerol, Versed, Ativan, or Valium. But maybe I am wrong.

And plus, I really want to speak to the surgeon about having to go under lighter sleep if possible. I suppose it will not hurt to ask. The worse case, they can say No.

Offline Lightbulb Sun

• Posting Member
Usually they seem to offer them before you even ask. Many people are very nervous pre-op so it's a common thing for them.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your question is a good one.  However, be aware that when you come in to the hospital or surgi-center in order to officially sign consent for surgery, you must be of "sound" mind. That means that you have not taken any medication which could effect your thinking in any way.  That is why most surgeons do not provide sedation until after the consent for surgery form has been signed -- then either the surgeon or the anesthesiologist may provide such medication to you.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline VICTOR_G

• Posting Member
I really hope i get something also for my surgery in March 21. Super nervous when it comes to surgery.
YouTube.com  (Victor Garcia Gynecomastia)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024